• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock in a 240 ver. 2 - Probably very little of what you'd like to know

On closer inspection, it is indeed a chipped key -_-

I dont see how I wouldnt be able to adapt it though, I could almost rip a chip out, permanently mount it in the coil somewhere in the dash and keep the standard 240 key electronics mated to the c70 loom?

2014-11-26115110_zps24c216ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure the benefits outweigh the pain of using a stock ECU in your application. I think it's way easier to use an aftermarket system rather than getting eyeballs deep into stock immobilizer crap.

I'd ask the ME4.4 tuning guys over on Volvospeed if they can kill the immobilizer on ME4.4 cars, those guys have figured out a ton of stuff on that engine management system. The '98 came with and without the immobilizer so it might actually be as simple as jumpering some wires as well.

If it was an ME7 car I'd say kill yourself before trying to bypass the immobilizer, as it was done over the CANBUS.

Aaron (tightmopedman9) over there has also figured out how to adapt the S90 coil on plug system into the 5 cylinder application, so it's all factory.

Last edited:
The immobiliser can be easily disabled via flashing of a modified .bin :)

Converting to COP is also quite easily done by converting to the later M4.4 ecu, aquiring ME7 coils, asking Tightmopedman9 nicely and working a bit of his magic

How much of the loom can I remove and still be able to run the engine off stock management?
The 240's are pretty basic, so there isnt too much that would need to be rigged up, Would the car run perfectly fine without the c70's dash, climate control and extra bits hooked up?
The plan is also to have functional AC, from the diagrams that ive seen, I should be able to get away with tapping the AC clutch relay to the original 240 AC switch and that should be that... obviously no climate control, but it would work

How much of the loom can I remove and still be able to run the engine off stock management?
The 240's are pretty basic, so there isnt too much that would need to be rigged up, Would the car run perfectly fine without the c70's dash, climate control and extra bits hooked up?

Because of your questions, and because I'm planning the same thing soon, I've been digging in to the wiring diagrams. It looks pretty straight forward to me, in terms of just disconnecting what you don't want and cutting it out of the harness. Get the right power to the right places and you should be golden.

Like on the 98 there is no CANBUS so out of the ecu there's a tach signal, temp signal, CEL signal, oil light, stuff like that. I haven't figured it all out yet but I haven't seen anything that throws any big red flags. I think making the tach work will probably be the hardest thing. Assuming you want the tach to look stock.

Welcome aboard Lloyd! :cheers:
Thats very comforting to hear, I just pulled part of the Coil loom out of a 2000 car for my COP conversion, which sparked me to really start thinking about the wiring and how it daunted me
From what ive seen, people tend to leave the engines temp signal alone and tap the thermostat housing to fit the 240's temp sensor... more stock components means less guesswork, or so im told :)
Knowing I can get info like oil, coolant and CEL signals is awesome too
Tach signal to stock dial would be great too, but how

What are people using for clutches?

Im hoping to go down the T5 route, Volvo Pressure plate and possibly the Ford clutch disk in the middle?

Karl​, Buddy READ MY MESSAGES

Ive been waiting over 6 MONTHS for my parts and you no longer respond to my messages?
Ive had to message people all over the forum to find out what the hell is happening.

Id like my parts Karl, Ive paid a LOT of money for this stuff and id like it SOON

What are people using for clutches?

Im hoping to go down the T5 route, Volvo Pressure plate and possibly the Ford clutch disk in the middle?

Karl​, Buddy READ MY MESSAGES

Ive been waiting over 6 MONTHS for my parts and you no longer respond to my messages?
Ive had to message people all over the forum to find out what the hell is happening.

Id like my parts Karl, Ive paid a LOT of money for this stuff and id like it SOON

I'm going to see his brother for sure on Sunday, it would be nice to ship all those parts AND an adapter plate at the same time!

I'll ask him if I remember...

@Muller
I feel like a complete asshat having to resort to this
I just got off the phone with SpecClutches and they say they've been doing Volvo pressure plates with ford disks for ages now!

Is there anything available as a kit?
Or atleast with info on what bolts to get?
If so I rekon Ill have to get one of your plates!

Interesting idea, if the bolt pattern is the same then it'd be a possibly good option. It's so close to the head though that I worry it'd hit something. Also it might interfere with the thermostat housing as that's moved on the compact T5 motor as well.

If I can get my hands on one I'll try it. I hang out at a local Volvo shop sometimes and they sometimes have junk engines lying around that they let me scavenge parts from.

And that's not a Focus manifold, that's the Volvo manifold from any turbo P1 Volvo. ;-)

Am i to understand that a t5r clutch set bolts right on to a 960 m90 if i use a singlemass 850 flywheel? I want a lighter flywheel and a stronger clutch setup on my 960. thats why am asking.

Am i to understand that a t5r clutch set bolts right on to a 960 m90 if i use a singlemass 850 flywheel? I want a lighter flywheel and a stronger clutch setup on my 960. thats why am asking.

Yes, better to use the 96-97 850R clutch though, its improved over the t5-r clutch.

I can get a 24v 960 solid flywheel. Will this work with the 850r clutch?
Im using an m90 gearbox
Sorry for the noob question

Back