• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T4 engine in RWD?

Chaps, lets put the irrelevant remarks aside and focus on getting this motor into an Amazon. Thanks for the pictures of the oilpans Karl. I'm determined to keep the crossmember intact, so modifying the oilpan is what I'm going to do.
I'm found a few engines for sale which I'll check in the near future. Once it's in front of me I'll understand what the constraints are. An M90 is an impossible find around here, a Getrag 265 it will have to be.

Chaps, lets put the irrelevant remarks aside and focus on getting this motor into an Amazon. Thanks for the pictures of the oilpans Karl. I'm determined to keep the crossmember intact, so modifying the oilpan is what I'm going to do.

Why have you seemingly arbitrarily decided not to mod the crossmember?

Once you shorten the pan another 4" more than the short one in the pic, well, there is a "hump" in the front for the oil pickup and the sump in the back.

The chances that after all that, you can locate the engine just such that the crossmember fits between those 2 protrusions are slim.

The 122 crossmember sucks and needs to be reinforced anyways. Just make a new one- then you can potentially integrate motor mounts into it too.

If that seems at all daunting, pick a new project.

Why have you seemingly arbitrarily decided not to mod the crossmember?

Once you shorten the pan another 4" more than the short one in the pic, well, there is a "hump" in the front for the oil pickup and the sump in the back.

The chances that after all that, you can locate the engine just such that the crossmember fits between those 2 protrusions are slim.

The 122 crossmember sucks and needs to be reinforced anyways. Just make a new one- then you can potentially integrate motor mounts into it too.

If that seems at all daunting, pick a new project.

Agreed, except the motor mount part. After seeing Justin's 244 with a crossmember mounted T6 tear up RSI poly mounts like they're not even there, and having my T5 on frame rail mounts with scantech pillows be solid as a rock, I'm done with using the crossmember for anything other than holding the steering rack. And the fact that you can drop the crossmember with the engine still in the car is pretty nice.

Agreed, except the motor mount part. After seeing Justin's 244 with a crossmember mounted T6 tear up RSI poly mounts like they're not even there, and having my T5 on frame rail mounts with scantech pillows be solid as a rock, I'm done with using the crossmember for anything other than holding the steering rack. And the fact that you can drop the crossmember with the engine still in the car is pretty nice.
Don't know where to find a pic but what about mounts like kevin hawkinson did years back, I think the design was swiped from a ford rally car design made to fit a 240. Seems like it would be a strong design.

Well, having never built a crossmember it is daunting, but I'm ready to get stuck in if I find that it cannot be avoided. Are there any pictures of what a good custom crossmember in a vintage Volvo should more or less look like, a search yielded nothing that looked very promising.
Anyway, I'm going to start by getting the motor, the rest will happen one way or another. Thanks for all the help thus far.

So has this project gone ahead or not? I have a 240 and iv found a very cheap t4. And i already have the m90 so im getting very tempted to do this ��

So has this project gone ahead or not? I have a 240 and iv found a very cheap t4. And i already have the m90 so im getting very tempted to do this ��

What do you think?

Do it!

All the women, or guys, or both will throw themselves at you.

But seriously, other than: "it's cheap", why do you want to do this?

What's wrong with the redblock?

What do you think?

Do it!

All the women, or guys, or both will throw themselves at you.

But seriously, other than: "it's cheap", why do you want to do this?

What's wrong with the redblock?

I will make an attempt at it and keep you all updated on progress...
My redblock is fine apart from a rough idle and spluttering under full throttle.
Just fancy a little something different.
Updates to follow... in a few weeks or months lol

Back