• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mint 940 from Saint-Petersburg, Russia

EFbI4

Hi all!

My name is Stan. Now I want to start a thread about my lovely car - Volvo 940 1997, GK engine, AW71, few mods.

I bought 940 year ago - that's was christmas and b-day gift from me to myself. I searched for that model in good condition for a long time, but it wasn't simple. Well, I found my new car in 150 km (~100 miles) out of my location (Saint-Petersburg), after few checks I bought car and story began.

I very like late 80's and early 90's car for very good engineering level, longevity of metal and mechanics, for classic (already) design. And I'm in love for Volvo 940 especially.

Well, when I just seeing on local craigslist that car it looks like:

28317102afadc4368cf336979670ca00-full.jpg

4c831b3704ba3da865855b93cb29df38-full.jpg

Previous owner said what car have refreshed body paint and have only three issue: not working a/c, sunroof and sometimes comes ABS lamp. That's was a big lie, dudes ))

Well. Now it's mine!

90270d1519b4024ca5db0e8546f4115e-full.jpg

That's GK powered 940, on auto trans. I was impressed by stock torque, extra small turning radius, excellent heater.

Well, I started doing some things with that pretty.

First was 960-style tail lights.

voAAAgAOsuA-960.jpg

Because winter (and summer too) wheels was not too shine for me, I started with adapters 5*114.3/5*108, 30 mm width front and 35 mm rear.

pUAAAgNRcuA-960.jpg

Turbo engine wants moooore positive pressure, yeah! That's MBC. Adjusted for 1.2 bar.

ioAAAgKcCuA-960.jpg

For boost I bought a few management chips. For me best option now - TLAO chip.

BUAAAgGqiuA-960.jpg

Some more serious. In GK engine we all can found T cam and... leave em for your grandpa N/A. I started from "A" cam.

m4AAAgKTiuA-960.jpg

W4AAAgKTiuA-960.jpg

Few months ago I found a rare "V" cam and ofcourse I install it.

cgAAAgHznuA-960.jpg

8oAAAgMx3uA-960.jpg

I like lowered cars and as you know - when you lowering 940, the axle is moving to side. For compensation that moving I made custom DIY adjustable panhard-rod.

xwAAAgP3GuA-960.jpg

D0AAAgHSpuA-960.jpg

I opened hidden places in body and... oh shi...

IwAAAgO9buA-960.jpg

YwAAAgO9buA-960.jpg

4wAAAgO9buA-960.jpg

EwAAAgO9buA-960.jpg

cwAAAgO9buA-960.jpg

cwAAAgO9buA-960.jpg

Rust was cutted, installed new fenders and much more for bodywork. I do it 2 month overall.

Maybe first photo after all works with car after buying:

iQAAAgBMFuA-960.jpg

That's HRE P101 forged wheels, 8J, 215/45R18 Bridgestone Ecopia. Around -40mm lower than stock.

I don't like stock SRS steering wheel and changed it for old fashioned.

4cAAAgGNbuA-960.jpg

EcAAAgGNbuA-960.jpg

Next was exhaust. Stock was rusted and I change it for stainless steel 76 mm (3 inch) with one Magnaflow muffler on end. Look at this beauty.

6cAAAgF5XuA-960.jpg

lcAAAgF5XuA-960.jpg

mcAAAgF5XuA-960.jpg

ZCAAAgF5XuA-960.jpg

VCAAAgF5XuA-960.jpg

DCAAAgF5XuA-960.jpg

MSAAAgF5XuA-960.jpg

https://youtu.be/dTjn83bxx7w

I made a led conversion for dashboard and install new old Alpine 9880 (it was a gift for my 18 b-day, after 12 years I found a car for it, hehehe) and OEM 1.5din-1din frame to install it.

u4AAAgEnieA-960.jpg

Found and install few rare things.

Egg-crate with black frame (mint condition):

gYAAAgG5ieA-960.jpg

And "940 Turbo" badge.

nxAAAgL9KeA-960.jpg

For now - that's all.

cUAAAgNGLuA-960.jpg

In my future plans: accum-mod for AW71, 440cc Bosch (already bought), 012 MAF (already bought), Holset HX30W (already bought too), Ocean MK18 (not bought).

I'm really sorry for my bad english, I'll try to improving.

Thanks to all turbobricks - that's awesome site and forum!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Your English is fine, better than what you will find in the typical Craigslist or FB ad! : ) Good job on a very nice 940T.

Thanks for all for your positive reply!

Nice! Late 940 Turbos didn't have boost gauge?
No, but I have a PCB from old 940 with boost on tacho and as I know - I can just reinstall plates. I'll try to just make a simple change, but if it that don't be work - I change a plate.

I have another question, maybe I receive some information there. About Holset HX30W. As I see - a lot of people there install something like HY35 or HX35, but I can't find more info about Holset HX30. I'm interesting in which RPM it rolls to positive pressure, which max pressure. I see the turbomap for it - the one and only what I have it's just my thoughts about it. Okay - and some info from rise-driving forums )

No, but I have a PCB from old 940 with boost on tacho and as I know - I can just reinstall plates. I'll try to just make a simple change, but if it that don't be work - I change a plate.

I have another question, maybe I receive some information there. About Holset HX30W. As I see - a lot of people there install something like HY35 or HX35, but I can't find more info about Holset HX30. I'm interesting in which RPM it rolls to positive pressure, which max pressure. I see the turbomap for it - the one and only what I have it's just my thoughts about it. Okay - and some info from rise-driving forums )

Awesome work with the car! Love the silver with black wheels.

I would ask that in the modifications section. You're likely to get a little wider audience there.

Very nice looking 940!

I'm running an HX30w and it spools up pretty quick maybe 5psi @ 1400 and then very quickly hits 18-19 psi.

Does your turbo have internal waste gate? if so you should open up the opening as much as possible. You also need to change the waste gate actuator to something with a lighter spring. I also had the mounting studs drilled and tapped to 10mm studs and gasket matched manifold outlet.

do you have documentation of the antirust campaign? i thought my car was eaten.. but that sillboard.. man...

Hi!
No, unfortunately. But that's was simple, really. My friend helps me only in even complicated places, smthng like a frames spars. After cutting and welding you must to cover all that places by acid acryl base and only after paint it.

AGAAAgC_OeA-960.jpg

Few days ago I install tachometer with boost meter, which was placed in 940 before 1995. Well, it works, but... Tachometer show me +250-300 rpm. I think install changeable resistance on "+" tach plate and will be try adjust it. Now on full throttle it looks like tranny shifts on over 7000 rpm ))) Maybe somebody do the same?

And yeah - car comes over 447000 km (~280k miles) and running wild!

I love low cars. Mine is now lil lower than before

xOiwjE7.jpg

koNlZ2D.jpg

After lowering I install very rare front spoiler. Now it's pleasure take a look on my car. Adore it!

ZOCGchX.jpg

J7LsTt6.jpg

Back