home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #251
matt b
Board Member

Some points of reference for you. I can't find pics of my blue one, but I remember using an MG color instead of the Volvo blue. It looked good, it had more grey in it than what you have in Volvo 99.

Red (volvo 46, a shade darker since Nason is never a perfect match)

IMG_4719

White (IMHO, the most boring color known to man. Begs for some sort of livery)

IMG_7158
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #252
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

I prefer darker colors on 122's, a dark green can be really pretty.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #253
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

I do like red, but there are so many red ones.

Here is the dark blue I'm thinking of. I think it would look good with my current interior color
Old 04-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #254
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Just for sh!ts and giggles I decided to look up the Polestar blue color chip and I have to say it looks pretty, pretty, pretty, good

MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #255
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post

White (IMHO, the most boring color known to man. Begs for some sort of livery)

I disagree. I love white cars
Old 04-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #256
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJr. View Post
I disagree. I love white cars
That's one of the few exceptions. White race cars (or tribute cars), especially with gold/bronze wheels will always get a pass in my book.

1966 Outlaw Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #257
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Shameless thread bump
Old 01-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #258
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Actually I do have somewhat of an update.
The long term goals are becoming a little more clear with this thing, but I tend to change my mind quite often when it comes to what I want this car to be.
I do want to do a fuel injected B20. I'll either use the stock D-jet intake or just keep the Jenveys. I'm leaning towards the stock intake for ease of install and tuning, and I'd like to run A/C as well. I've kicked around the idea of a whiteblock, or even a LS, but I don't want the project to turn into years and years. It will be down long enough for body and paintwork. I just want to make it the best 122 in terms of bodywork and paintwork, basic engine mods, and stockish interior upgrades. I just want to make it the nicest 122 I can.

So that being said I did ordered a hunk of fuel rail and cut it down to rough fit it to the B20 FI head. I also got a very expensive fuel injector stepped drill bit to drill the holes.

My plan is to copy what this person did with a B30

Another BIG upgrade for me is the brakes. The stock brakes are awful, and the thing I hate most about this car. I plan to run Wilwoods (If they clear my new wheels) on the front, 240 1031 discbrake rear end, and dual circuit power brakes. I found 1800E 5x108 front spindles which do bolt onto the 122, and I also found a the 1031 and a G80 locker. I am also planning on running the late model 122 long brake booster. I found one of those too.
Like this

And finally I got a new set of Maxilite wheels. These are minilite/panasport style wheels. Very close to the same look as the original wheels that I had on the car when I bought it, but these are 15x7 instead of 15x6 I think it was. Could have been 15x5.5, anyway the new ones will be wider, they will be 5x108 to back the brake upgrade, and they will be lighter than the steelies. I also plan on painting the centers gold, and polishing the lips.

I can't wait to get back on this car, but I'm currently installing hardwood floors throughout my house which is taking up all of my free time.

Last edited by MikeJr.; 01-05-2021 at 03:07 PM..
Old 01-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #259
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Sounds like a good clear path you have laid out. Can't wait to follow along! I'm still up in the air on induction on my B20. I think I want to start by taking the engine out and rebuilding it the way I should have in the first place with a decked block and 10:1. If I'm still not satisfied then I'll start seriously looking into FI. I agree on brakes, they are marginal for stock power levels but anything above that and they are merely a suggestion. I just can't see changing over to a different bolt pattern. Good luck with the flooring!
Old 01-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #260
stick70
All the gauges

Badass Mike. Dad loves your former wheels on his 122.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #261
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Sounds like a good clear path you have laid out. Can't wait to follow along! I'm still up in the air on induction on my B20. I think I want to start by taking the engine out and rebuilding it the way I should have in the first place with a decked block and 10:1. If I'm still not satisfied then I'll start seriously looking into FI.
I'm fine with stock B20 FI power inputs for now. Heck I'm not totally dissatisfied with the original B18 and SUs, its the brakes I mostly want to improve. Plus I think that chasing power in these engines is high cost, low reward. I'm not drag racing it, I'm not road racing it, it's a street car, so I want it to drive like one with better stopping, reliability, and a few modern conveniences, like A/C. Electric power steering might be an option. Maybe even a decent radio

A lot of the things you did on your car, like a short shifter tunnel and 1800 carpet to cover it, are things I want to do on mine as well. I'm doing a lot of the same things Canuck did too on his original 122 build like the 1031 and Wilwood. In fact he helped develop the original Wilwood brackets for 122s.

Quote:
I agree on brakes, they are marginal for stock power levels but anything above that and they are merely a suggestion. I just can't see changing over to a different bolt pattern.
I'm hoping I can still run a 15 inch with the Wilwoods. Some on this board have said you can, but I won't know for sure until I start to build them. Changing to 5X108 isn't a big deal to me anymore, not with all the wheel options in that pattern that are currently available.
5x108 Heavyweight on IG has awesome wheels pop up all the time for sale in that pattern.

Quote:
Good luck with the flooring!
So far so good, but I've only gotten 1 out of the 6 rooms done. Mind you I'm also painting each room, scraping the popcorn ceilings in each room, and installing can lights in each room. It will take up most of my time for the foreseeable future. I do plan to accumulate parts for the 122 throughout this year though. I'll try to at least update that even if I'm not working on the car.

Here is the first and only room I've completed so far.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #262
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Badass Mike. Dad loves your former wheels on his 122.
That's great. You should post up some pictures of that car.

Do you remember what the width those wheels were?
Old 01-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #263
stick70
All the gauges

I don't but maybe I can find out
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #264
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

I'm not sure if you're looking for opinions on the color but I'm compelled to offer that I think the Polestar Blue is really just not right for this car. It's so bright, very modern... I just feel like it's going to be like a stately professor with a tweed jacket getting sleeve tattoos and a manbun. It reminds me of the mid 2000s when I was a SAAB guy and the Viggen came out, and suddenly there were classic 900s getting painted Lightning Blue everywhere and they all looked terrible.

And Lightning Blue is a beautiful color. Polestar blue is just... bright ass blue.

Stick with your deep rich blues and greens ideas, imo.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #265
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Dang, the first room turned out great! Lot's of work, I can appreciate that. Scrapping popcorn is the worst, the absolute worst.

I'm not looking for absolute power myself, just a nice wide strong torque curve and reliable fuel delivery under every driving scenario. The Weber's are great when they are great but they are at times particular and I'm running out of patience with them, this coming from someone who has been tuning them for 15 years now. Injection isn't a cure all but it does take a lot of variables out of the equation when tuning and external variables don't effect the performance nearly as much. It's just hard to change paths and talk myself into it since a lot of the set up I'd be relying on others since it's out of my wheel house, I might be a bit of a control freak when it comes to my cars
Old 01-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #266
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I'm not sure if you're looking for opinions on the color but I'm compelled to offer that I think the Polestar Blue is really just not right for this car. It's so bright, very modern... I just feel like it's going to be like a stately professor with a tweed jacket getting sleeve tattoos and a manbun. It reminds me of the mid 2000s when I was a SAAB guy and the Viggen came out, and suddenly there were classic 900s getting painted Lightning Blue everywhere and they all looked terrible.

And Lightning Blue is a beautiful color. Polestar blue is just... bright ass blue.

Stick with your deep rich blues and greens ideas, imo.
Oh yeah I agree. The more I looked at it, the more I didn't like it. Nice color, wrong car. All the blue colors are off the table now.

I'm actually thinking about going with the original color, and just changing the interior color to red. I think the two colors go well together.
Here is a spray out we did at work, and a fabric sample from VP Autoparts

I am kicking around red exterior with black interior too. Beige would be more original to the car, but red looks so good in my opinion. It's really narrowed down to both colors.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #267
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Dang, the first room turned out great! Lot's of work, I can appreciate that. Scrapping popcorn is the worst, the absolute worst.

I'm not looking for absolute power myself, just a nice wide strong torque curve and reliable fuel delivery under every driving scenario. The Weber's are great when they are great but they are at times particular and I'm running out of patience with them, this coming from someone who has been tuning them for 15 years now. Injection isn't a cure all but it does take a lot of variables out of the equation when tuning and external variables don't effect the performance nearly as much. It's just hard to change paths and talk myself into it since a lot of the set up I'd be relying on others since it's out of my wheel house, I might be a bit of a control freak when it comes to my cars
Yeah I've had everything I need to inject mine for a while. I just need to do it. I have the B20 sitting on a stand, and an FI head. I may just get and IPD street torque cam kit and call it a day. I'll be using MegaSquirt3 to control it. They're relatively easy systems to set up, and there is a ton of support on this board. Plus I live pretty close to the MS master Kenny aka linuxman51
Old 01-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #268
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Go ahead and make two of those fuel rails

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #269
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Beige and red looks amazing IMO. If going the red route, I'd consider either a light or dark brown interior. Black interior works to, I'm just not a fan of black interiors or black socks, personal preference
Old 01-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #270
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
Go ahead and make two of those fuel rails
I thought about making one for you actually

Last edited by MikeJr.; 01-05-2021 at 07:35 PM..
Old 01-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #271
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Beige and red is looking might nice there.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #272
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Beige and red looks amazing IMO. If going the red route, I'd consider either a light or dark brown interior. Black interior works to, I'm just not a fan of black interiors or black socks, personal preference
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Beige and red is looking might nice there.
I do agree. I’m really just leaning to the beige and red. I think freshened up beige would look pretty good.

Last edited by MikeJr.; 01-05-2021 at 10:18 PM..
Old 01-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #273
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

I agree the beige and red go well together, but IMO too laid back. Maybe with some period graphics, but otherwise beige is ... beige.

My car is red (originally 46/Ruby, repainted some Nissan metallic that's pretty good) with a black interior. It's muy macho, IMO would be better with brown as MattB showed earlier.
PaddyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #274
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyGarcia View Post
beige is ... beige.
And it fits like a glove!
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:23 AM   #275
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyGarcia View Post
I agree the beige and red go well together, but IMO too laid back. Maybe with some period graphics, but otherwise beige is ... beige.

My car is red (originally 46/Ruby, repainted some Nissan metallic that's pretty good) with a black interior. It's muy macho, IMO would be better with brown as MattB showed earlier.
I think the red interior will be flashy enough for me. Plus the gold rims with polished lips. I also plan on blinging the sh!t out of the engine bay with lots of polished metal and chrome.