• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Autometer electric speedo in a 740

did you check the rear diff wiring? I thought the speedo failed again in my 92 740 but it was the wiring that rotted off the sensor.

IDK

Try the LAST ONE in that manual. Connect SIG on your meter to the terminal on the back of the cluster that transfers the speed signal to the ECM. Or maybe there is a terminal on the back of a 740 cluster that goes to the CRUISE control box.

If that doesn't work, try the SECOND TO LAST one where it picks up right off the diff sensor.

Last edited:
I want to ditch my 1991 740?s erratic speedo and go with an Autometer speedo. Which wire(s) going to the back of the cluster should I use to signal the new unit? The plan is to keep the cluster and mount the Autometer in place of the factory POS.
That won't work. In addition to showing the speed, the factory speedometer generates a VSS signal for: ECU, Cruise, Climate, and O/D Relay (AT). While ABS uses the same differential speed sensor, it does not use the VSS signal from the speedometer.

brickboard speedo failure diag info is here: https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/ElectricalInstruments.htm#Speedometer_Failures

Back