• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Propav8r buys a P2 V70R

Well it only took me 6 months to make time to put them on. Huge thanks to Derrick/940guy for the lift time and basically the lion's share of the install. Hockeyguy930 made an appearance and supplied coffee and rides in the Exocet.

Ho2FC6Jh.jpg

FxvAdHwh.jpg

VB2hU4zh.jpg

2hB0Qs6h.jpg

The car is completely different now. It's incredibly comfortable on the highway, and much more capable in the mountains than it was. The handling is much more predictable, the car corners flatter, and I can push it harder before the tires start to break away.

I think it's time for a spare set of wheels with sticky rubber for weekends at the Gap.

The car is completely different now. It's incredibly comfortable on the highway, and much more capable in the mountains than it was. The handling is much more predictable, the car corners flatter, and I can push it harder before the tires start to break away.

I think it's time for a spare set of wheels with sticky rubber for weekends at the Gap.

Wait- are you implying you like this thing now?
What has the world come to?

Surprised I made it almost two years, but it appears either the head gasket is leaking or I finally experienced the dreaded block crack.

I was driving it pretty hard on some of my favorite mountain roads this weekend. Everything was fine, car was running great. I crested the hill and started on the downhill stretch.

About a mile in, I got a low coolant light. Temp gauge was in the middle. I just shut if off and coasted down probably 3-4 miles to a house and they let me fill it back up with water. It was pretty apparent that the coolant had been pushed out of the cap. Probably took a couple quarts.

Drove home no issues, didn't think much of it. I had put a lower pressure cap on it at one point, and I just chalked it up to that. I did put a new factory pressure cap on it at this point.

Drove it to work the next day and it was fine. Went out at lunch, cranked it, and got a low coolant light. Not cool. Topped off, made it halfway home, low coolant light again. Topped off, drove home.

Once I got home, I let it sit to cool off a bit and then put the coolant level at halfway in the tank. I put the cap back on and let it get up to temp, holding revs at 25000-3000. I noticed that while doing this, the coolant in the reservoir would get pulled down to below the min mark, triggering the light. Cracking the cap and releasing pressure would allow the coolant to bubble back up to the middle.

I drove it around with the cap loose in an attempt to maybe work out some air bubbles in the system. Drove fine, went back home, went to bed.

Checked the level before I left for work, looks great. It burbled/missed ever so slightly when I cranked it. Got to work, level looks great. Drive home for lunch, again it burbled/missed for about 2 seconds this time. Warmed up, give it a solid 3rd gear pull to about 5000, and the coolant light comes on a couple miles later.

Same story. Pull over, vent some excess pressure, coolant returns to normal level. Drive the next couple miles home, and the low level light comes on pulling into the driveway. Again, vent pressure, level comes back.

So anyway, I picked up a combustion leak tester and some fluid on my lunch break. The car is sitting at home cooling off, I'm going to confirm my suspicions when I get home, and I guess start pulling stuff apart. I'm hoping it's just a leaky head gasket, but given the track record of P2Rs, I kinda doubt it.

First time I had coolant loss in a P2, it was the radiator cracking at one of the hose barbs.
But that was a T5 - I think your suspicions are probably correct.

Tbh I?m kinda over it. If you?re serious, we can chat.

Oh man I really want an M66 V70R. And having just done an engine R&R on my C70 that?s not a daunting task.
But I need to sell my P80 R, do some work on the C70 with the proceeds, and I just bought a Vanagon Westy? pretty sure my wife will be a firm hell no.

I?ll run it by her anyway and let you know.

Damn that sucks. Out of curiosity was it tuned?

Any history of over heating or running low on coolant in the past?

Damn that sucks. Out of curiosity was it tuned?

Any history of over heating or running low on coolant in the past?

Hilton tuned by the previous owner.

It popped the upper hose a couple times not long after I bought it. Chalked that up to an air bubble or cavitation or something. I remembering found that the hose wasn?t fully seated on the rad the first time. Immediately shut down both times, didn?t get hot.

The only time I?ve seen it warm up was at the Gap about a year and a half ago. I was pushing it fairly hard to stick with a 911 and the gauge went up to about 3/4. I backed off and it cooled down pretty quick.

Damn. That's a shame.

The wife's '97 GLT did the same thing a couple years back, but an RN swap on a FWD P80 is much simpler than an AWD P2.

See, you really just want to build a really good 2.4 bottom end. And by you I mean me, because if I buy another P2R that?s what I?d want to do.

Back