• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

82 AW70 fit 86 car?

TouringMusician

I?m going to replace the very leaky and clunky aw70 in my mother?s 86 245-mainly because I was offered a low mileage unit from a 1982 car. I was curious though, is there some issue with the 86 EFI car having a sensor on the flex plate that the 82 transmission won?t fit? The fellow who wants to give me the 82 trans thinks this is an issue. The car it came from was a Kjet turbo.

Thanks!

They will interchange fine. That person is thinking of the crank sensor on the LH2.4 efi cars. That sensor started being used in 240s in 1989 so your fine. The main thing you must remember is that early 82 trans should use Type F trans fluid while the original trans in an 86 uses the Desron atf. Don't mix them up.

You may have to swap driveshaft flanges so the trans matches up to the driveshaft in the car. Get a new mount for the trans and check the wiring for the overdrive solenoid and make sure that is all in good shape.

PS a trans from a kjet turbo car will be an AW71. A stronger version of the same trans.

Last edited:
They will interchange fine. That person is thinking of the crank sensor on the LH2.4 efi cars. That sensor started being used in 240s in 1989 so your fine. The main thing you must remember is that early 82 trans should use Type F trans fluid while the original trans in an 86 uses the Desron atf. Don't mix them up.

You may have to swap driveshaft flanges so the trans matches up to the driveshaft in the car. Get a new mount for the trans and check the wiring for the overdrive solenoid and make sure that is all in good shape.

PS a trans from a kjet turbo car will be an AW71. A stronger version of the same trans.

So the 82 trans is def worth doing, then? Cool! Having not messed with autos much, how difficult is swapping that flange? I always get nervous using pullers on things that connect to transmissions...

Who knows what it is. Supposedly, 1981 240 Turbos did not come with an automatic transmission. If the transmission is an AW-71, it is a good replacement for your AW-70. You will need to replace the kick down cable or modify your existing bracket to move the cable housing stay further forward. The 240 Turbo AW-71 uses a shorter kick down cable.

Last edited:
He can be even cheaper than that. Swap over the tail shaft housing and spacer from the AW-70 to the AW-71 and sell the worm gear, speedo drive and tail housing to someone that needs those parts to upgrade to the AW-71 in an early, cable speedo car.

Gasket, what gasket? That’s what RTV is for. :-P I was being sarcastic guys. I pulled one of those tail shaft extensions to do exactly what I described above and I would never want to do it again. It took me about two hours to get all that gasket material off the two mating surfaces. That said, those parts I mentioned are getting incredibly hard to come by.

Back