• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Mj?lnir - Volvo 850 NA - ITB

Hey guys, it's been a couple of years. :)
For those who remember I thought let's post a minor update about the SwedeDemon Mjolnir.
Many things have happened in the last 12 years since the last post. The "SDM" has not seen much activity during that time but the car has been in my possession ever since and has been driven on occasions.
Just before the pandemic the car received a tractiv straight cut "dog box' out of a Volvo S60 Challenge car after a friend of mine asked or begged if he could swap that box for the M56 4.45 Quaife box which was in the car originally. The dog box came with a pretty aggressive "Drenth" LSD btw. With the pandemic there wasn't much going but last year my long time friend Emiel suggested to fix the 6 wheeler SAM Carrier car transporter which had been standing for quite some time, prep the SDM and go for a trackday when possible.
All credits to Emiel and another friend Ruben all was set for a trackday in September 2020.
My only request was to drive the car myself for a couple of laps and that my oldest son, now 24 and who had "helped" me drive the SDM to the workshop back in 2007 to have the roll cage welded in, could also drive the car for a couple of laps.
The trackday itself was great fun. Also a tad emotional after so many years. Unfortunately later in the day when my son was driving the car something snapped inside the gearbox and the shifter went all fluffy. Of course we all blamed my my son. :-P But all in good fun. And fun we had.
After the event the engine and gearbox were taken out and the gearbox was opened up and it showed that an internal lever, don't know the english name, had broken off and and luckily for us had fallen straight to the magnet without touching any of the gears.. :omg:
It has taken a while but now the SDM is back together and up and running, Emiel's effort again I must add, and I hope we can take the car back to the track again preferably before the end of this year.

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_7915.jpeg

Emiel and Ruben,

SBJR7541.jpeg

My Son,

IMG_7945.jpeg

Emiel and me,

IMG_7934.jpeg

Glad to see its still out and about! Thats a pretty cool gearbox. Are you able to get a replacement part or will you have something made?

We have been running our 850 endurance racer a few races per year. It needs some hp for sure.

Hows the 242?

Glad to see its still out and about! Thats a pretty cool gearbox. Are you able to get a replacement part or will you have something made?

Tractive Motorsport transmissions used to make these gear sets inside an M56 housing. http://www.tractive.se
It was possible to order complete gearboxes from them or just the gear sets. The complete box has a few small differences compared to the standard boxes, which differ year to year btw. The forks of this particular box were strengthened and a support was added for the pin holding the long shift mechanism lever. From what I know this box went to a Rally team who had the Drenth LSD fitted. The gearing is a bit tall for the car, also think it is a bit slower compared to how it used to be but the flat shifting maes up for that. :) Feels and sounds more like a race car now. :cool:
The broken part was pretty much a standard part which was exchanged with a part from another gearbox.

CHGX1760.jpeg

We have been running our 850 endurance racer a few races per year. It needs some hp for sure.

Hows the 242?

Still here, no progress... :oops: C30 still here in a corner half built.

I know you put together the motor a long time ago but are you still running the early style VVIS head with the RN block?

I have been trying to decide what head I should be running on our endurance racer,

From what I can tell, the consensus knowledge is that the RN heads are better than the N heads. There aren't many people running a non turbo car and trying to go fast. I know that the results of having a NA RN motor in our car with a m4.4 and the intake VVT not being controlled is not good. We are trying to decide if we should go with a standalone and beable to have full control of the VVT system or perhaps but a N head on RN block?

It's awesome that you got both the SDM and the transporter driving again. Makes me really happy to see this car still getting some action in!

I know you put together the motor a long time ago but are you still running the early style VVIS head with the RN block?

I have been trying to decide what head I should be running on our endurance racer,

From what I can tell, the consensus knowledge is that the RN heads are better than the N heads. There aren't many people running a non turbo car and trying to go fast. I know that the results of having a NA RN motor in our car with a m4.4 and the intake VVT not being controlled is not good. We are trying to decide if we should go with a standalone and beable to have full control of the VVT system or perhaps but a N head on RN block?

The N heads can be made to flow as much as an RN head, but porting is needed. Matt (simplyvolvo) is running a heavily ported N head on his 850 T5-R http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topi...r-head-the-truth-with-flow-data-and-pictures/

Seems like a 99 NA head would be the perfect solution for you - it has the RN port for good "out of the box" flow but no VVT. It does have hydraulic lifters, not sure how much that matters to you. It should be a pretty simple swap if you get your hands on one. Might be some minor differences in the head gasket / coolant passages between the N and RN head, but it's been long enough since I pulled one apart that I don't remember.

Sorry never saw your reply.. :oops:

Guess you are sorted by now? :lol: With M4.4 personally I would stay with fixed cams. The RN head is more efficient partly due to VVT which bring wider torque spread but the duration of those cams, which are different compared to N cams, is very short. If the gearing of your car is a good match to a certain rev range a fixed cam would be OK but not the stock VVT cam locked. Standalone are some new players now. I used Link with the SDM and nowadays they have some nice systems which can do VVT and ETB but there is also MAXXecu being used a lot for Volvo's.

Sorry never saw your reply.. :oops:

Guess you are sorted by now? :lol: With M4.4 personally I would stay with fixed cams. The RN head is more efficient partly due to VVT which bring wider torque spread but the duration of those cams, which are different compared to N cams, is very short. If the gearing of your car is a good match to a certain rev range a fixed cam would be OK but not the stock VVT cam locked. Standalone are some new players now. I used Link with the SDM and nowadays they have some nice systems which can do VVT and ETB but there is also MAXXecu being used a lot for Volvo's.
Cars been sidelined, unfortunately. We are hoping to get back to it shortly to make some progress.

We found glitter in the oil and pulled the motor to tear down and dropped a 93 motor in it. We had some mishaps with the crank case and blew out all the oil on our first race with that motor and got some bottom end knocking.

After pulling apart the 04 motor we found the main thrust bearing was the source of the glitter. At a previous race, we had an 850R OEM clutch delaminate, and caused some heavy thrust loads on the crank.

We put that motor back together with new bottom-end bearings and rod bearings and bolts.

We are hoping to get it back into the car soon.

I 100% agree that the factory vvt cams without VVT control are horrible. We are considering going with MaXXEcu. Its a Bonus that it can smartly control the c30 power steering pump.

Have you found any aftermarket VVT cams that are worth upgrading to for NA applications?

Back