• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Atom's 2 door Amazon wagon

Atom D&D

Disclaimer:

If you are a purist, or will be mad about me "ruining" classic Swedish steel, You should probably hit the back button now. I saved this project wagon from the scrapper so I consider myself recycling. I am only building it for me. If you wanna continue, enjoy.

Adam

I started out just wanting an Amazon wagon real bad. I searched a ton and all I could find was cars that were either too expensive or too broken. I finally found one in Oregon and bought it sight unseen. I immediately got my buddy Luke to start on renderings for me. I had picked out wheels and knew I wanted a blue car, so we went from there. Luke is amazing and has been exceptionally helpful.

This was the first version of the rendering:

LukeJonesrenderv10.jpg

Then as a two door:

Volvo122-2712.jpg

Then I decided the color was too dark for my plans, so I looked at a bunch of Amazon photos and came up with 1966 code #90 Volvo dark blue.

Like this color:

Volvo_P220_66_90_873_4.jpg

I convinced my paint supplier from work to comp me paint for the complete.

IMG816.jpg

Luke took that and started another rendering.

122camper-1.jpg

So everyone understands, the end goal of this project is a daily driver for me. I don't want this car to be too perfect. I'm always too worried to enjoy my cars when I make them too perfect. The inside will be utilitarian and will get USED for hauling tools and supplies. The outside will probably have nicks and scratches and dings. I'm ok with that. It'll be like me, rough around the edges, but pretty cool none the less.

Adam

Last edited:
When I actually drove down and picked the car up it turned out to be missing a LOOOOOOOOOT of stuff. Particularly little trim and screws and clips and such.

These were taken the day I dropped it off.
IMG418.jpg

IMG417.jpg

IMG433.jpg

IMG430.jpg

IMG429.jpg

IMG420-1.jpg

IMG419-1.jpg

IMG398.jpg

IMG397.jpg

IMG396.jpg

IMG394.jpg

Then I went back to the car another day to take more pics and measurements.
IMG575.jpg

IMG574.jpg

IMG573.jpg

IMG572.jpg

IMG577.jpg

IMG576.jpg

IMG571.jpg

IMG570.jpg

IMG569.jpg

IMG515.jpg

IMG514.jpg

IMG513.jpg

IMG511.jpg

IMG488.jpg

IMG489.jpg

IMG486.jpg

IMG487.jpg

Then I noticed some pretty bad rust. Wasn't very happy.

IMG485.jpg

IMG484.jpg

IMG481.jpg

IMG482.jpg

Last edited:
Since there was so much rust and stuff missing, I decided to track down a donor car. I've always wanted a two door wagon so I found a coupe donor car and got to work.

IMG627.jpg

IMG683.jpg

IMG682.jpg

the projects overseer and namesake: HEADQUARTERS!!

IMG688.jpg

Then I cut off everything from the firewall forward.

IMG685.jpg

IMG684.jpg

Then I drilled out all the spotwelds leaving the support structure for the from sheet metal which I then ground down in prep.

IMG689.jpg

IMG694.jpg

IMG691.jpg

IMG690.jpg

Also drilled all the spotwelds going down the firewall.

IMG692.jpg

IMG693.jpg

Then I had to pull the engine/trans and front sheet metal off of the donor car.

IMG712.jpg

More spotwelds.

IMG715.jpg

IMG714.jpg

Then line it up with the engine hoist for support.

IMG717.jpg

IMG719.jpg

IMG718.jpg

Then weld it all in.

IMG733.jpg

IMG770.jpg

IMG744.jpg

Using the engine hoist to lift the front nice and high to gusset the frame.

IMG736.jpg

moved on to supporting the car on 4 jackstands in prep to pull pillars.

IMG744.jpg

IMG745.jpg

Cut out the pillar.

IMG748.jpg

IMG747.jpg

IMG746.jpg

Then I fit the door from the coupe.

IMG749.jpg

Here you can see that the rear edge of the door slopes down a hair.

IMG750.jpg

I initially wanted to use the entire quarter panel and seam it right along the top ridge, but the shape of the two is really different.

IMG755.jpg

IMG753.jpg

IMG754.jpg

Then I thought that I'd just follow the rear door edge straight down to the wheel well, but that made it too thick at the wheel lip.

IMG756.jpg

So, I eventually wound up just following the old door opening.

IMG758.jpg

IMG757.jpg

I should only need minimal filler.

IMG762.jpg

Here you can see that the coupe quarter tails inward as it goes back at the crown. I had to slot the top and pull out on it to get the quarter sections to line up.

IMG761.jpg

I cut the top off of the original rear doors and then had to shorten the top to get it to line up with the section of coupe quarter.

IMG764.jpg

Here you can see a weird little notch where the coupe quarter panel comes back and meets the window. My plan is to put the chrome trim off of the coupe that runs along the top crest of the door and quarter back on, then create my own trim to continue along the lower ledge of the rear window. It should all work out OK.

IMG763.jpg

Then the bodywork started. My least favorite job to do. I grew up doing bodywork. My dad owned a small two person bodyshop from before I was born till just about five years ago when he retired.

IMG803.jpg

IMG835.jpg

IMG832.jpg

IMG830-1.jpg

IMG829-1.jpg

The boy really wants to go home. LOL.

IMG834.jpg

I don't have any great pics, but my plan for the mid window is to continue the pinch weld all the way around the opening. Add some bulb seal. Use the front section of the coupe window trim and the full length bottom and by braising on the remainder of the window surround have a pop out mid window for venting.

IMG820.jpg

IMG819.jpg

Now onto primer.

IMG831.jpg

IMG836.jpg

Then I took the wheels off of my bosses R33 Skyline to test fit width and to see if 18" wheels would work for my needs.

IMG837.jpg

I also took out the shocks and springs to see what full low was.

Last edited:
This is the difference in length and shape from the coupe door to the front wagon door.

IMG771.jpg

Saving this space for more bodywork pics.

Last edited:
I will be running an AQ171 Penta motor. Turbo'ed with NIW intake and header. It'll be backed with a R154 transmission and wind up at an S13 240SX rear subframe. The subframe install is next on the list cause I need to spec the offest on the wheels I want (American Racing Salt Flats) since they take 3-4 weeks to build.

IMG797.jpg

IMG794.jpg

IMG651.jpg

IMG628.jpg

PART951326519005371.jpg

PART951328764709946.jpg

I also bought an R230 diff assembly to fit into the S13 subframe at some point.

IMG634.jpg

All my Nathan stuff showed up in the mail, so I figured I'd test fit it. I had him make all my stuff for tilted 240 for my other car since the Amazon wasn't even on the horizon at the time, so a few things are gonna need modding to get it to fit.

IMG878.jpg

IMG879.jpg

IMG877.jpg

IMG874.jpg

IMG873.jpg

If I woulda known I was gonna be building this car I woulda had him make it for vert mounting.

IMG880.jpg

Tight fit #1

IMG876.jpg

Tight fit #2

IMG871.jpg

Tight fit #3

IMG870.jpg

IMG868.jpg

Did some more mocking up and test fitting stuff. Man, is this engine compartment SMAAAAALLL. :)

IMG893.jpg

IMG889.jpg

IMG886.jpg

IMG887.jpg

Smallest intercooler piping in the world? Might just be hard elbow out of turbo and hard elbow out of intercooler with hump hose connecting them. Time to create new motor mounts.

IMG890.jpg

Somebody's gonna need to do some aluminum welding for me. I need hard elbows on a lot of stuffs.

IMG896.jpg

Gonna have to still pocket the fender a little for intake clearance.

IMG895.jpg

Last edited:
I have front and rear seats from a Lexus SC400 I'll be re=upholstering to use. Since it is a coupe as well, they have rear seat easy access. I'll have to take some pics later.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get more updated, but it's been a long weekend and I'm dozing off at the computer at the moment. I'll be back a little later. Check out my other thread in performance for current info till I get it up here.

Adam

Sweet, I came in here at post 2 and you had reserved up like 6 times! I was about to say thats it, Glad you posted the rest and am looking forward to seeing this project!

Check with these guys to see if they have any parts for the amazon before you destroy both car!
http://www.klokkerholm.com/

Klokkerholm apparently made the panels that I purchased from fixmyrust.com
I don't think the Lake Erie Trading Post has any but here is the link if you want to check with them!
http://www.fixmyrust.com/1967-1975-volvo-240--AAG.html

Edit: i see now that it is too late, haha!
Even though I hate the idea of killing a perfectly good car, I think this car will look amazing when it is finished!

Last edited:
Check with these guys to see if they have any parts for the amazon before you destroy both car!
http://www.klokkerholm.com/

Klokkerholm apparently made the panels that I purchased from fixmyrust.com
I don't think the Lake Erie Trading Post has any but here is the link if you want to check with them!
http://www.fixmyrust.com/1967-1975-volvo-240--AAG.html

Edit: i see now that it is too late, haha!
Even though I hate the idea of killing a perfectly good car, I think this car will look amazing when it is finished!

You can take some ease in knowing that the coupe was not a perfectly good car by any means. The rear brakes were frozen, the transmission was destroyed (which is why it was parked years ago), and the engine was missing lots of bits. All the parts that were salvageable have been used on my car, or sent off with various TBricks members. It's not dead, just living another life on other cars. Consider it an organ donor. :-D

Pics and other info above updated.

Adam

Back