home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 04-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Kzrockbum

Default Amazon front end upgrade

Iím looking at upgrading the front suspension, spindles, steering, brakes, etc. in my amazon. Do any of you guys have a recommendation on parts on another vehicle to swap from? Somewhere to buy from?
I am looking to put a 5 cylinder whiteblock, cd009, and 8.8 rear (or at least my current intentions)

Also, Iím still in the process of looking for parts, so if you got stuff for sale...
Kzrockbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

I'm going to be that resident old guy and say use the search function here or at the very least Google.

That being said welcome to vintage ownership

There are quite a few similar builds that are on going or have happened so dig around for those for reference. Other then that, besides changing out to sport springs and shocks there is not much to easily modify on these early cars unless you have real fabrication skills, at least not in the sense of where you want to take them. These early cars are quite different in respect to anything 200 series and later. Even compatibility with 140 and 1800 series is limited to mainly just drivetrain components.

Good luck!

1966 Outlaw Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Kzrockbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
I'm going to be that resident old guy and say use the search function here or at the very least Google.

That being said welcome to vintage ownership

There are quite a few similar builds that are on going or have happened so dig around for those for reference. Other then that, besides changing out to sport springs and shocks there is not much to easily modify on these early cars unless you have real fabrication skills, at least not in the sense of where you want to take them. These early cars are quite different in respect to anything 200 series and later. Even compatibility with 140 and 1800 series is limited to mainly just drivetrain components.

Good luck!
Thanks!

Itís hard to search here when I donít know the words Iím even searching for....
A work in a sheet metal fabrication shop of sorts and have access to lots of toys there. I would build a full tube chassis if I had the knowledge for all the geometry and that stuff that goes along with chassis building. When I learn Iíll be on that path, in the meantime...
I donít mind swapping an entire section, or particular parts and fabricate something up, just need a path, I can follow directions. I donít care if itís not Volvo parts, if the body and motor are the only thing left Volvo, thatís fine by me!
Old 04-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

If you're comfortable with fabrication and want to dip your toe in suspension work Mustang II stuff is hard to argue with. It's basically the LS engine of front suspensions. Cheap, available, and near infinite aftermarket support.
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
TR Conn
Board Member

If you are looking for information and inspiration, read & watch Canuks Volvo 122S Build Thread: Scope-creep the Sequel .
Tenacious, innovative and and a nice guy.
His videos of building the frame and front suspension for his 122 will give you an idea of what is possible.
In fact, just watch them all...

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
Old 04-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
If you're comfortable with fabrication and want to dip your toe in suspension work Mustang II stuff is hard to argue with. It's basically the LS engine of front suspensions. Cheap, available, and near infinite aftermarket support.
I have thought about this for my 142. I don't know a lot about suspension design, but the Mustang II is the same basic design as the stock 122/142 suspension, right? Maybe different length short and long arms give it more favorable characteristics? Besides the obvious benefit of getting a rack to replace the stock steering box, what's better about the suspension itself?
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
I have thought about this for my 142. I don't know a lot about suspension design, but the Mustang II is the same basic design as the stock 122/142 suspension, right? Maybe different length short and long arms give it more favorable characteristics? Besides the obvious benefit of getting a rack to replace the stock steering box, what's better about the suspension itself?
Off the shelf parts. Basic geometry. Multiple varieties from bolt in to weld it yourself.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Kzrockbum

Quote:
I actually happen to come across this not to long after making this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Conn View Post
If you are looking for information and inspiration, read & watch Canuks Volvo 122S Build Thread: Scope-creep the Sequel .
Tenacious, innovative and and a nice guy.
His videos of building the frame and front suspension for his 122 will give you an idea of what is possible.
In fact, just watch them all...

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
I had to stop reading it, will continue later, but that guys is nuts!
Old 04-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:

Agreed.

I've been kicking around this idea for my 122 for a few months now, but I think to do it right you would need to do fabrication to the frame rail at the crossmember mounting point. 122s have a natural arch to make room for the suspension crossmember and control arms.

My idea is that the arch would need to be removed, and a straight piece of frame rail fabbed into place.

Here's a rough MS paint edit removing the arch, and adding a straight rail section

By doing this you have a better platform to set up the mustang II geometry correctly as a weld in crossmember, as apposed to a bolt in set up.

I found a company that makes a DIY crossmember that is more adaptable to specific custom applications
https://welderseries.com/Mustang-II-...aves-p51209593

There are also several videos on youtube that explain how to install mustang II front crossmember

Last edited by MikeJr.; 04-16-2020 at 10:09 AM..
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

On that site that sells these DIY Mustang II crossmembers I found these pictures where someone did a mustang II in a 240 (for some reason)

Old 04-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
Tfrasca
Board Member

Good stuff. Saving those videos for later.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #12
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJr. View Post
On that site that sells these DIY Mustang II crossmembers I found these pictures where someone did a mustang II in a 240 (for some reason)
The double a arm suspension is superior in some aspects compared to macphearson strut. In terms of racecar stuff, adaptability to different courses is a must, so having a large adjustment range may be necessary. This isnt always what you get with mac strut. Also, camber gain and travel limitations are a big hurdle to overcome with mac strut, not saying that mac strut isnt an effective approach or good for because-racecar, but it has its fundamental downfalls.

Now, unequal a arm has its issues as well, but personally I feel like the benefits outweigh those issues.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
stick70
All the gauges

I'll do this sooner or later in my car. The factory suspension and steering setup is really not designed to be lowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #14
vwbusman66
StŲŖelstange Łber alles

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one contemplating Mustang II stuff for a 140 down the line.
I worked last summer doing fab work at a hot rod shop and came to appreciate Mustang II stuff for custom builds and upgrades to rickety 30's junk.

There are certainly far more options in terms of performance/adjustable shocks and springs as well as brand new steering racks for $150 at any auto parts store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast740fromSC
I am living proof that fetal alcohol syndrome is not that bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #15
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
I'll do this sooner or later in my car. The factory suspension and steering setup is really not designed to be lowered.
Let me know when you are ready. We'll take a ride to Mooresville and get some stuff. You might even end up with good geometry.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #16
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Ridetech makes some really nice (and really expensive) Mustang II parts.

That DIY crossmember I posted is for use with their Shockwave stuff. You don't have to use the Airbag shocks, you can use a coilover shock with this setup as well.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #17
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
idk with the lowering springs and flipped BJ my car is low enough - I have just few MM between pavement and front mudflaps

lower CA are level too

I can see wanting to upgrade steering but thats a lot of work for power steering

then there's these (not same car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Donít bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.

Last edited by Jack; 04-25-2020 at 10:18 PM..
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote