• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

adding idiot lights to cluster

BeaverMeat

My ‘81 cluster has some unused idiot lights. Wanting to utilize the real estate for custom warning lights. Perhaps an engine light for the 5.0 ECU, or a light to tell me when my e-fan is on. Shift light, maybe?

Do the blank “bulbs” need to be in board to complete a circuit? Or can I just wire-in some lights?

Just use the stock bulb holders for bulbs and wire to the connectors on the board. Either the big round connector or the half moon one will have an open location you can use. Use a pin extractor to take a pin out of another connector so you have a contact to use for your setup. On an 81 there are usually a couple of locations that aren't used.

So what your saying is all the light locations are on the harness. Good to know. I guess just some diagram staring and wire chasing is in order.

I take it the whole deal is 12v?

I just found which wire on the stock harness controls which light and cut the wire and connected it to my ECU. I'm controlling like 3 of the unused lights on my dash.

Back