• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B200E to B230FT

A Quintrell

Hi all, I'm just wondering how hard it will be to swap a b230ft in my 89' 240.

I'd much rather turbo mine, but after reading how hard it is I'd rather swap the b230ft in to it.

Any help on what I need to do and if its going to be expensive/ complicated would be and actually god send!!

Last edited:
So basically if i can i can get hold of a b230f 240 engine it should be a straight swap for the b230ft?

What would the best place to find the conversion harness, or would it be easier to make one instead?

There is a 2.3 90’ 240 “project” for sale near me, but the bloke who is selling it wants stupid money for it, it’s in a really bad state as well

I stock the loom you need.

It is not as simple as just pulling the loom from a donor car as only part of what you need unplugs

So how would I do the swap? As I’m pretty sure it’s a bit harder than doing a b21ft to b230ft swap?

If you were to swap a B230FT long block in place of a B21FT long block, then yes, that would be much easier than what you are trying to do. If you were, on the other hand, to swap a B230FT engine management system in place of a B21FT's, then it would be basically the same as what you want, because B21FT runs a K-Jetronic (a.k.a. "CIS"), juwt as your car does.

You seem rather in over your head...

Have you considered the insurance aspect of engine swapping versus putting a turbo on?
I +T'd my B200 and was surprised that the insurance only went up by about 30 quid pa.
I didn't look into engine swaps with them and I suppose your age may factor in as well but I felt Insurance companies always look unfavourably at putting a bigger engine in.
For me, putting a turbo on was a lot easier than getting the engine out and the car is quicker as well. Only real problem is that it is the start of a slippery slope.
Tim

I did similar transplant in my 1975 242, removing out the B20/M41 and Kjet FI system for a 1990 B230F w/Lh2.4 FI and 1985 M46 transmission. Ended up using two donor cars for this work, a $350 1990 sedan providing the engine FI and wiring (everything from the headlights to the front seats) as well as a $200 1985 245 for the transmission, dash and duct work. The 1975 wiring was removed and replaced with the 1990 wiring harnesses including the ECU and ignition computers.

The B230F went in with no issues as did the M46, the only fabrication required was on the transmission cross-member as the mounting holes in the frame did not match up. The only real surprise ended up being the ignition switch as in the 1990-93 240s this was changed. I believe one of the reasons is the newer setup killed power to the headlights when engaging the starter. Everything had been put together and the car would not start. After consulting with the Bentley book and a few people, someone clued me into looking at the ignition switch as the culprit. Also, with the B230/Lh2.4 FI, I needed to procure a newer flywheel for the CPS set up.

This retrofit has been documented here on TB, the actual transplant work starts around post #5: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=324743

Cheers everyone for the replies, but I think I’m gonna just going to put a more aggressive cam in it, and maybe down the line carb swap it at least then I can still kinda keep it original.

I also think I’m just gonna buy a 940 and just dump a load of power in to that instead.

Back