• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Door Handle Driver Side Exterior Need to replace

1993 Volvo 240 DL Wagon, A/T
Another sage in my life as owner of Volvo 240 wagon.
Exterior door handle, driver side, needs to be replaced.
LAST shop/mechanic, one of things they were to do was replace handle. They claimed to have ordered handle, 3 weeks later, still not rec'd. :grrr: Me: do you want me to order? them: sure. I got handle, put car back in shop, picked up, handle not replaced :roll: They actually did remove door panel, and slapped back on (not properly secured ....) to give car back to me.
BEFORE I take to another shop, can someone please provide me details on how to remove door panel? Diagram? And details of what needs to be lubricated?
Any screws, connectors, etc. that I should order 'in case' last mechanic broke, or lost? Or just because at this age - they should be replaced?
I doubt this has weatherproof sheeting so would also appreciate source that I can order that from - (hopefully one that doesn't require bulk purchase LOL) - with exact name of product.
As ever - thanks for your patience, tolerance and help! Oh BTW I DO have OEM replacement handle.

Well to start. How is your selection of tools? You will need several. For example a set of Torx drivers, tools to remove door panel clips which let you pry the clips out of the door. A flat blade medium sized screwdriver and a small flat blade screw driver.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T-foRsoOAS4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haven't heard from Robert in a while. He still traveling around fixing Volvo's?

Don't forget to remove and lubricate the door latch on the door jam. That's what broke the handle to begin with. Dirt, lack of lubrication and corrosion seizes up the mechanism and then you break the zinc casting of the handle.

It comes off and goes back on without issue but the Philips or Trox bolts will require an impact driver to break them loose.

The original vapor barrier was not much more than waxed paper. It was waterproof but allowed moisture to escape. Since I used to build houses and have stuff left over I use Tyvek house wrap for the barrier behind the door card. It is waterproof but not a vapor barrier. Any brand will do. Probably going to have to find a house under construction and beg a piece off some workman. There is always some left over.

Last edited:
Vapor barrier low cost alternative a shower curtain liner from the Dollar store. TB cheap.

In the late model cars they used a plastic liner instead of the old wax paper stuff. I admit to using trash bags when I needed something and didn't want to go to the store. :lol:

For the cost of postage I will send you as much Tyvek as you need to do all the doors. Couple three dollars maybe.

Back