• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

i never understood why dave barton plummed the brake lines to the front distro block either. I put front and rear on one side of the block and front and rear on the right side of the block. Then i blocked the other holes that i didn't use.

and for the rear distro block i just made a bracket with two holes. one that bolts to that stud where the old distro block or whatever was mounted, then the other one mounted to the distro block

You've gotta do something about that ratty looking intake manifold though, at least bead blast it :)

Ha, I know. I'm kind of neglecting aesthetics on the intake side of the engine right now in the interest of getting it running. In time (as in this summer ;-)) I will make that stuff really clean too. I also want to clean up the brake booster and MC at some point, and relocate the fuel filter when I do the Walbro conversion.

I posterered in showroom, but no responses. What is that oil filter thinger? who makes it and where did you get it?

The oil filter remote kit is made by Canton Racing. It's available directly from Canton, or from <a href="http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CTR%2D22%2D625&N=700+115&autoview=sku" target="_blank" >Summit</a>, etc.

Got my intercooler piping today! It's a universal 2.5" kit from eBay. Pretty simple installation, even with the location of the intercooler. Plus I should have room on the right side to come off the turbo with 4" pipe and place the air filter behind the headlight. Also, the battery is clearly going in the trunk (the box was removed).

Tonight I'm going to figure out placement of the BOV flange, IAT bung and IAC nipple. Tomorrow I'll bring the pipes to my friend's shop and we'll TIG those bits on.

Now to run the remaining oil lines! Alex, the more new stuff I put in the engine bay, the worse that intake manifold is looking :lol:

82-242-ICpiping.jpg

82-242-ICpiping-right.jpg

82-242-ICpiping-left.jpg

Piping looks really good! How's the quality of the piping/connectors/clamps? I was thinking about buying this exact kit for my car but was worried about that. What thickness is the tubing?

A set of silicone rad hoses would be a nice match I think -- like so:

154.jpg

My exhaust is made from chinese intercooler piping. :-D

It's about 16ga and plenty good for intercooler piping.

Using it for exhaust piping is, ah, slightly more demanding. :rofl:
And, it seems ok so far! :rockon:

Score! Looks like I'll be ordering that then :) -- thanks for the input guys.

Also, I just double looked at where your battery tray used to be -- looks like a good job on cleaning that up after it was cut off. I'll say it again -- I am soooooo envious of that paint job :drool:

Bob, just a heads up. You'll definitely want to clamp down that oil feed hose somehow. If you don't I guarantee you it will rub through the paint on the strut tower.

How's the quality of the piping/connectors/clamps? I was thinking about buying this exact kit for my car but was worried about that. What thickness is the tubing?

Seems like pretty good stuff, it came from CXRacing (just-intercoolers) on eBay. It's advertised as 2mm thick. I don't have a super accurate caliper, but <a href="http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/volvo244life/IC-piping-thickness.jpg" target="_blank" >here's a cross section</a> where I cut it:

Bob, just a heads up. You'll definitely want to clamp down that oil feed hose somehow. If you don't I guarantee you it will rub through the paint on the strut tower.

Yep, I'll use one of the metal clamps with rubber in the center (I have a pile of them :lol:) and attach it to the strut tower. It's also pretty close to the header and I'll want to keep it off the runner.

Question for all: where is the best place to get a wastegate signal? I didn't plan on tapping the compressor housing, so I was thinking off the hot side intercooler pipe. That would make a nice short path as well to the Tial.

Last edited:
adele's....i use them on everything at work....wiring...hoses...yadda...theyre kinda spendy though....for a clamp...

Question for all: where is the best place to get a wastegate signal? I didn't plan on tapping the compressor housing, so I was thinking off the hot side intercooler pipe. That would make a nice short path as well to the Tial.

Tapping off the intake manifold will give you more stable boost than from the compressor housing/hotside ic pipe, but at the cost of building boost slightly slower. Going off the compressor housing will make it build faster, but you'll be more prone to spiking.

These differences are all pretty academic though. Personally, I would run it off the intake manifold, but the other side of the engine would make for a cleaner install.

Edit: The car is looking ****ing great btw. I'd love to see it some time this summer.

Personally, I would run it off the intake manifold, but the other side of the engine would make for a cleaner install.

Edit: The car is looking ****ing great btw. I'd love to see it some time this summer.

Awesome, thank you. I would love to bring the car down your direction later in the summer. It's funny, I've been trying to convince my parents to do an August family vacation in Cape Cod, because we used to go there every summer for a week when we were kids. It's been like 12 years.

I used one of the silicon "taps" from ATP. It goes through the silicon hose wall and locks down with a nut. Doesn't leak and lets you put a boost reference anywhere you have a hose. If you don't want to tap the compressor you can use this on the hose on the compressor outlet.

Intercooler exposure. I really don't want to hack the front bumper up (the cover is NOS), so I might work on a duct system.

82-242-intercooler.jpg

cut...holes...center...bumper...

I won't be bothering with a front plate on this car.

I was thinking about your car this afternoon and thought I'd contribute my thoughts on this -- like you care :lol:

Anyway, as much as chopping up a nice new bumper seems like a horrible idea I actually think when done well it looks cool too! For example:

eklund.jpg

Just a thought. :cool:

Just a thought. :cool:

It's a good thought ;-) That is the look I would go for if I was to cut into the bumper.

What I was thinking though would be in install two rectangular brake ducts beside the opening in the lower air dam. So one would replace the tow hook cover, and the other would go on the driver's side of the car. I would "point" air in the direction of the intercooler with them. I have a few extra valances that I can use to mock up. The ducts would look something like this, I think:

BrakeDuct_shelby.jpg

I have some more fun looking progress :) -10AN oil lines run to the remote filter and I got my flanges and bungs welded onto the cold side IC piping. I did some research on IAT placement and read all about heat soak, and I'm going to try it placed midway up the cold side pipe. What I like about this placement is that fresh air should reach it through the grille. Without the stock oil cooler (or NA airbox) there, a fairly clear path is left to the IAT. Honestly, I have no idea if this would help keep temps on the sensor more accurate, but I can't see how it would hurt.

I'm out of town all weekend for family/graduation stuff, so I won't make any more progress until next week.

82-242-oil-lines.jpg

82-242-BOV.jpg

82-242-IAT.jpg

Back