• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo ECU question

kendogg

V8 Guy
Not sure where else to ask this, so I figured I'd start here.

What is the newer Volvo 5 cylinder ECU thats able to be tuned, have immobilizer etc deleted and generally be able to be run in a non-Volvo vehicle? Apparently nobody can make the ME7 work in a non-Volvo (which is odd, because Audi's and others use it too so you'd think there would be plenty of support for swaps).

Thanks!

I'm confused. Are you talking using a Volvo ME7 ecu on some other engine, or a 5cyl swap on the stock ME7 ecu into something that isn't a Volvo?
Any links? Compared to what they use now, ME7 is ancient, it should be an easy swap.

I'm confused. Are you talking using a Volvo ME7 ecu on some other engine, or a 5cyl swap on the stock ME7 ecu into something that isn't a Volvo?
Any links? Compared to what they use now, ME7 is ancient, it should be an easy swap.

No, I'm asking whats the newest ECU I can use on a Volvo 5 cylinder turbo that can be run as 'standalone' so to speak in a non-Volvo car. And yes, the ME7 is kinda 'ancient', but it's modern by LH standards, and I've spoken to nearly every Volvo tuner on the planet that tunes ME7 and they've all told me nobody knows how to delete the immobilizer nor be able to make the ECU happy running in a non-Volvo car.

Why not just run Megasquirt?

Answer to your question is 98 m4.4

MS isn't going to run a dual-VVT e-throttle motor. It's a good cheap ECU, but it's still not a 'real' ECU. I'm not even sure I'd trust an MS3Pro to be honest. Cheapest thing I've looked at thus far is a DTA S80. Ideally, I could pick up a used Bosch Motorsports ECU, but even thats probably out of budget for this project.

MS isn't going to run a dual-VVT e-throttle motor. It's a good cheap ECU, but it's still not a 'real' ECU. I'm not even sure I'd trust an MS3Pro to be honest. Cheapest thing I've looked at thus far is a DTA S80. Ideally, I could pick up a used Bosch Motorsports ECU, but even thats probably out of budget for this project.

Use a non e throttle. You can do dual VVT on ME4.4

Really? Now I'm intrigued. I need to investigate how it works on the motors that came natively with ME4.4, vs how it works on the B5244T5 then. I thought those older motors were intake-only vvt?

All ME cars didn?t have any VVT but Aaron at VAST has figured out how to control it and COP.

All ME cars didn?t have any VVT but Aaron at VAST has figured out how to control it and COP.

Interesting. Worth doing over a standalone?

I tried being as vague as possible, because I didn't want other info to impede the original question. I have an '06 S60 T5 which has the B5244T5 in it. Hit in the drivers door, donor car. Considering putting it in an E46 M3 as a trackday car. I love swaps, and do a lot of swaps at my shop anyways. From my research, if I can clean up the piping, and get rid of the dinky factory turbo for something more along the lines of a GT3076, it should make mid 4xx's to the wheels without too much trouble, and have great power & boost curves with dual vvt. AND be very lightweight in the nose of that car, and set back a bit since it's missing a cylinder vs the BMW 6 cylinder options. The thought of running down the back straight at Road Atlanta in an M3 making turbo 5 cylinder noises makes me smile.

OR - since the Ford Focus ST uses the Volvo motor, is there any support behind those ECU's? Time for more googling.... Looks like it's a B5254T3. similar years.

Back