• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 door card protection?

volvo gt

Hello All.
I hope to learn any suggestions for sealing and protecting the opposite sides of door cards. These cards
seem to rot from water getting inside the door. I do have good condition window strips but mother nature does not care.
I wonder what I can apply to them that will seal the cardboard like material?
Any experience or recommended products are appreciated.
Thank you!

You can always apply fiberglass resin to the cards. Also make sure you have the vapor barrier on the door. A shower curtain line makes a cheap alternative to the original, nice and thick.

Maybe some form of wood preservation oil? Like linseed or Owatrol oil? I suggest to try it on one door card or a piece of similar board from the hardware store. Not sure how this board holds up to those products, I expect good but never know..
That and good vapor barrier.

I'd suggest a wipe down with vinegar or (hydrogen peroxide maybe?), let dry, followed by polyurethane coating for wood. That should be enough to kill off anything living there, and then seal up the porosity of the card. That's what I plan on doing when I take the cards back off again, at least.

Big 3mil trash bags make a nice water dam. Cut to size duck tape at the top corners tuck the bottom back into the door.

Working on this now. I used fiberglass to give structure to the deteriorated bottoms and I'm going to coat the rest in resin. Then I'll create new vapor barriers for the doors. Stay tuned.

Back