• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B21FT Negative Cable Ground Location On Block?

snailmale

I feel kind of silly asking this, but does anyone know where the other end of the negative cable goes on the block? I can't seem to find the other end of the cable despite running my hand up & down the block. :oops:

niLPliu.png

Thanks!

(I'll bet it's some place super obvious, because it always is.)

It's on the left side of the block, pretty far down.

I think on mine it's at one of the holes on the left bottom (couldn't find a better photo but you'll get the idea). I recently cleaned the cable and I had to reach pretty far down.
70969279_695235110967728_186841059786965976_n.jpg

Sometimes it's attached at the engine mount bracket, sometimes to one of the studs holding the AC compressor to the block, etc... If I remember correctly, on both of my cars, I have it on the upper bolt for the mount bracket.

Is it cool if I just unthread one of those nuts on the engine mount or PS bracket, put the cable on, and thread it on or does it physically have to touch the block?

5JcUUYL.jpg

Last edited:
On top of the bracket is fine. The bracket isn't isolated from the block. So, something like the nut just below the vacuum advance diaphragm would be fine. Even the bolt holding the intake manifold support rod to the block would work.

For future TBers:

XVNwcpO.png

I ended up grounding it to the 17mm stud on the PS bracket. Leave some slack before curving the new cable towards the bracket on the window washer reservoir. Gentle bends are your friend here.

ponqrII.png

If you're also tackling the red positive cable, use a 13mm and extensions at the starter. Try not to break the boot: it's a classic part that takes 4-6 weeks shipping.

Another couple protips about the positive cable:

1) make sure the nut is torqued down. Otherwise, it will back out and cause weird charging issues on your commute into work over the next couple days.

2) while torquing it down, hold the cables in place. Otherwise, even though you have the boot on there, you may find that, when you reconnect the battery, the car tries to start.

Back