• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Switched/ACC power under hood?

autoloclys

Hooking up some aftermarket DRL?s.

Is there any source for switched power under the hood I can tap to control the relay?

Or do I have to run one from the cabin?

Pretty sure the ignition coil has a spade connector that is switched 12v, but perhaps that’s not a good one to use? It was really easy to connect to since it’s just an open spade connector. We used this on a friends 'temporary' efan conversion.

The easiest place to tap in is the power wire to the ignition coil, usually a blue wire.

What year is your ignition switch and wiring? If you have an official Greenbook for the wiring, look on the fuses page and it will show the ignition switch. Some of the later switches have two pin 15's, one that is on during both start and run, "15R", and one that is only on during run but not start, "15I". The "15I" switch is used to reduce load by dropping non-critical circuits during starting (e.g. no heated seats, A/C, power windows, rear defrost during starting). Since you're in Boston, cold weather starting might be better without the running lights on. If so, you'll need to tap into the "15I" wire at the fuse block.

Thanks for that. using an open spade on the coil for now. I gather from the diagrss that this isn't actually behind a fuse, but the DRL relay I'm using has one inline. This is powered during cranking, so ultimately I'll probably pull a wire in as Bobxyz suggests as I don't think the voltage drop during starting is doing any favors to the cheap drls I'm using

Just want to confirm, is using the coil as a switched 12v source to trigger a relay ever going to be cause for concern? I know it is just milliamperes to switch a relay, but I don't want to cause any interference.

My main 12v feed into the relay is fused (40amp)

^^^ Should be fine. Keeping the high current wiring for stuff that's switching on-and-off (injectors, coil, iac) in the engine compartment reduces interference with the radio (and I guess ecu/ezk/abs).

I use the coil + to trigger my fan relay power.

That's what I've been using on my friends 245.

I just recently wired up the 2 speed fan on my 244 and wanted it to be ignition switched rather than have constant power how it does from the factory (I think).

So I just had to add a new relay.

Back