• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Commando bumper restoration

I am looking into restoring the bumpers on my '80 245. These have the heavy duty 'commando' style bumpers. The metal needs some buffing and the rubber should be replaced. I haven't had much luck on finding rubber bumper covers for these earlier 240 models on line. I've been trolling the junk yards around the bay area but so far haven't gotten lucky in finding anything there. Also it doesn't currently have a front air damn.

Anyone have any advice on:
1) best procedure to polish these bumpers?
2) where to look for the rubber covers?
3) can I fit an air damn from any 240 on this?

The anodizing finish on the aluminum is extremely hard and will take some very heavy buffing without damage. I used Turtle Wax automotive paint rubbing compound on a DA foam pad with pretty good success. Any corrosion through the finish are just going to be there after buffing. You shouldn't try to cut through the anodizing unless you are really a glutton for self imposed punishment. I did that on one of the Corona hubcaps that was too corroded to remain with the refinished wheels. It was quite an effort. It took 200 grit paper to make a dent in the finish then you have to sand and polish up from that.

My rubber parts were removed and refinished with 'No Touch' tire treatment applied with a fine paint scuff pad with some effort behind getting the age off the rubber. You can't believe how many fasteners and clips hold the rubber on the bumper.

Last edited:
For the rubber covers you may want to post in the wanted section. With some luck you should be able to put a good set together from various members.

Also it doesn't currently have a front air dam.

$250.00

240%20Commando%20Air%20Dam%202_zpsaezwnwid.jpg

Commando bumper air dams are different than the later models. Redwoods post shows one of the correct air dams. That's the same one I have. Do not buy the fiberglass GT replica on eBay from showcarsrob
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1985-...=item1ca9e45ba2:g:gPMAAOSwQNRXMLio:rk:50:pf:0
unless you are an experienced body guy, its a turd. wavy, does not look like the pic at all in any way, had a fight with them about this piece of crap. I ended up giving it to someone for free because I wanted that piece of **** out of my garage.

I remember many years ago at a VCOA meet in Vermont there was guy who had polished his commando bumpers, front and rear to look like chrome. He did say it took him a while.

Back