home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Default Wheel bearings on 780 IRS

Anybody tackle this job before? Any tips or tricks, or is it dismount the hub, press the bearings out and in and that's it?
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

This should be the setup where it's a sealed bearing with the hub included. At least that is how they were when I did them on a 88 760 which should be the same. It's held on with a large nut. I imagine if the bearings got hot then you may need a puller to get the hub off. But when I did them they slid right off the spindle after removing the nut.

PS I am only referring to the front. If you mean the rear bearings. I'm pretty sure you need a puller to get them out.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
This should be the setup where it's a sealed bearing with the hub included. At least that is how they were when I did them on a 88 760 which should be the same. It's held on with a large nut. I imagine if the bearings got hot then you may need a puller to get the hub off. But when I did them they slid right off the spindle after removing the nut.

PS I am only referring to the front. If you mean the rear bearings. I'm pretty sure you need a puller to get them out.
Sorry yes, it's for the rear, fronts are already done. I got 2 big sealed double row roller bearings from Rock auto.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #4
HRPufNStuf
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Sorry yes, it's for the rear, fronts are already done. I got 2 big sealed double row roller bearings from Rock auto.
For the rear, I believe it is dismount the hub, press out the splined hub shaft , remove the circlip, then press out the double row bearing. I think you need a special set up to support the hub in the press though to remove the splined shaft. Check Sanders v12 build as he did this job to swap later v90 splined shafts into Mk1 hubs/ bearings.
Iím pretty sure have the IRS green book around here if you want me to scan the relevant section.
Patrick.
HRPufNStuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:54 AM   #5
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRPufNStuf View Post
For the rear, I believe it is dismount the hub, press out the splined hub shaft , remove the circlip, then press out the double row bearing. I think you need a special set up to support the hub in the press though to remove the splined shaft. Check Sanders v12 build as he did this job to swap later v90 splined shafts into Mk1 hubs/ bearings.
Iím pretty sure have the IRS green book around here if you want me to scan the relevant section.
Patrick.
I have a giant gear puller at work that I think used in my Toyota to push out that same kind of piece for the FWD hub.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

There is also a rear wheel bearing puller that places like Autozone rent to remove rear bearings on IRS cars like BMW. It's usually called the European car rear bearing puller. Lets you do the job on the car.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
dorvin
idunno

Is that same tool sometimes referred to as the Gen 2 wheel bearing puller/installer?
'93 Volvo 240 - 683/1600
'12 Volvo S60 T5
dorvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
There is also a rear wheel bearing puller that places like Autozone rent to remove rear bearings on IRS cars like BMW. It's usually called the European car rear bearing puller. Lets you do the job on the car.
That's what I'm talking about! Thanks !
Old 03-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #9
kyote
Living The Dream

Slide hammer will probably work to take out the hub/flange.
Then you can use a press or something like this kit to change the bearing:
https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTec...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote