• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT RMS replacement

HRPufNStuf

Ive got the M90 dropped( bell housing full of oil)
Longest part was the circlip on the slave cylinder. One ear had dropped off sometime in the past and it did not come off willingly....

The new Rear main seal is a Genuine blue bag special with the funky white plastic spacer/ placer / spreader installed. I also ordered a new RMS housing gasket just in case.

Anyone have any tips on how to install this bad boy relative to the older style seals that just slid into place? Pull the entire seal holder. Remove the plastic spreader and install like normal?
Pull the seal holder. Install new seal with spacer and push whole thing back into place with the screws?
Permatex #2 on the outside rim?

Thanks for any insight...
Patrick

Install into the housing using the plastic piece/spacer and a spare redblock cam or aux gear. It will set it perfect every time

Leave the seal holder be.
Drill a 1/16" hole in the flat part of the RMS.
Run a screw into the hole with the screw driver, this pops the old seal out.
Pop the new one in as per Pat's instructions above.

No need to disturb the flat gasket, and it will be much less likely to leak this way.
I've done the last couple this way, to great success.

I left the carrier alone too the last time I changed one. Just used my Lisle seal puller to pop out the old one, then slide the new one in. Make sure you lubricate the inner surface well.

Thanks, I assume you pull the plastic spreader out first then?...or leave it in while driving into place?
Patrick

I think I took it out, since it was a little tricky to get it seated with the plastic piece in place, but I don’t remember. That may have been a BMW M54 I’m thinking of, since they use a very similar setup.

Pulled the entire RMS housing, installed the genuine seal on the bench. Volvo tool is perfect for alignment for both seal install and installation of the complete rear housing/seal back on the engine.
A little RTV on the lower gasket and in the bolt holes and its all buttoned up.

Old RMS was a black no-name one...probably bought from FCP a decade ago when I swapped from 2.2 to 2.4 and changed the flywheel.
It noticeably was not very stiff on the seal lips and the outer rim had no ribs to lock onto the RMS housing outer dimension. Just a smooth perimeter and it literally pushed out without tools.

For the M90 clutch slave fine tuning......

I needed a 3mm spacer under the fork ball for the M90 to ensure the slave didn't over extend and leak.
6 mm ( recommended by many) was too thick.
Didn't enjoy bench pressing the M90 a few times to confirm the spacer thickness.

Anyone have a spare M90 fork gaiter?

Patrick

Back