• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Wheel Arch Repair

OldCarNewTricks

Many many years ago, my 242 was side swiped in a parking lot while under the ownership of the guy that got me into Volvos. I did an amateur Bondo job 6 years ago, and I haven't owned the car for a few years. Now that I own it again, I would like to fix it correctly.

Multiple sources sell wheel arch panels, but are listed as being for 4 door cars only. Seems to me that a major part of the patch panel can be used on my car, as I don't really see any difference between the arches on the two and four doors. Anyone know for sure?

I've done patch panel welding with my flux core wire welder before, and it works OK, but heats up the surface faster than other methods. This caused a bit of warping. Any suggestions from the more experienced?

The mistake most people make when purchasing a patch panel is they think they need to use the entire panel. Just cut and use the smallest section that will do the job. As for warping, slow and steady, a spot weld here and there. Cool the panel as you go either with air or a damp towel.

Skandix used to sell a 2dr repair panel from Klokkerholm. The main difference is the amount of side metal is a little more than the 4dr panel. The shape of the arch is the same as you mention.

Which side? If passenger, get in touch with Rainbow Auto Service. They have a NOS rear quarter for a 1979-84 242.

Rainbow Auto Service has an entire quarter panel for $300. Not sure if it's worth it. :-(

Anyone in Oregon or Southern WA have a 242 that they are parting out with a good passenger quarter panel?

I have a slide hammer which has the body puller screw attachment. I might see about fixing it up instead.

I wanted to post a few pictures to show how extensive the damage is. I used my heat gun and a chisel to dig out some of the Bondo. I cannot believe how much I used back when. :oops: I remember there being some rust damage, but it is more severe now. Seems like alot of the arch is rusted out now.

I used a paint pen to outline the damaged area, and I marked my estimated depth of Bondo, IOW how far the dent would have to come out in that area. So I now know that the arch will have to be cut out regardless... My two options are to either get a 244 wheel arch panel, cut out the damaged metal and beat out the rest of the panel, and that would be a total of $80 or something. OR I can do 7 hours of driving to go grab the entire quarter panel that Rainbow has for $300.

Does anyone know how the quarter panels are attached? Are they just spot welded on?

I am hoping that some of you more experienced with body work can give input on the best option and how to go about this repair. Thanks! :)https://i.postimg.cc/3xTPNV4Q/20210512-111145.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/76wvRc4N/20210512-111138.jpg

:nod:

*just* spot welded on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2m9sAR4me4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Did you check in with Skandix like I suggested? They were selling 2dr wheel arch repair panels. The shipping is a bit of money but it includes a good amount of weight. So, you could order some other things that would be included in your shipping. They speak english and are good folks.

Did you check in with Skandix like I suggested? They were selling 2dr wheel arch repair panels. The shipping is a bit of money but it includes a good amount of weight. So, you could order some other things that would be included in your shipping. They speak english and are good folks.

I had not. Just did. Looks like the quarter panels are all gone and discontinued. However, the 242 wheel arch repair panels are still being made! Good suggestion! Maybe if/when I chop away the damaged wheel arch area, I will have access to the back portion of the dent, so I can get something behind it?

Practice. Turn down the heat on your welder. Make your own patch panel. You can make it in three sections. The top, curved section cut and hammered to shape. Then a flat outer section, cut into an arch. And finally the "under section". Weld each section one at a time. Or get a front fender and cut out the section you need. You should be able to make it work.

Practice. Turn down the heat on your welder. Make your own patch panel. You can make it in three sections. The top, curved section cut and hammered to shape. Then a flat outer section, cut into an arch. And finally the "under section". Weld each section one at a time. Or get a front fender and cut out the section you need. You should be able to make it work.

Would it be a good idea to cut the damaged part out and reshape it, then weld it back in? I could then get the fender like you said from a JY and substitute the good arch for the rusted one.

Yes, cut out he damaged section. Measure twice cut once , get a good close fit. Then spot weld here and there until all done , grind and body work and done. Keep the welded are cool. @ , 3 welds, cool, 2,3 welds, repeat.

Back