• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Muellers '78 242 project, warning, it's ugly right now :)

Kewl. I'm watching. I agree, though, that if a rebuilt unit can be bought for $150, it would be very tempting.

My first look at this epic thread.

Couldn't go outside and play in the garage tonight so I sat in front of the computer to learn a new software package I've had for a while....

This is the rear frame rail, not going to be 100% exact with the tracing method, but it'll be close enough once I grab some numbers off the car and adjust the model.

I'm VERY interested in seeing what you'll do with this. I've wanted to play with a bolt-in IRS setup for a 240 but lack of funds kept it in the benchracing arena. Can't wait for more updates.

killed a few hours day in the shop...instead of working "on" the car and making real progress, I made a few parts that'll never be seen once installed :wtf:

made 4 of these puppies tonight (only need 2 of course, giving a friend the other 2 for his 244)

still need to clean it up some finish the edges to give in a nicer look...I might try out me anodizing kit that I've had for at least a year collecting dust on a shelf to give the spacers some protection and make them look a little nicer...

Would you be interested n making another set of these?I have tried to pm you but I dont think they are going through.

It only took a few months to finish up the power steering rack :omg:

Now to install it and finish up the front suspension. That'll have to wait now that is actually raining.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 749
steering rack

Nice job on the steering rack. Does the kit have bushings and other wear items, or just a re-seal? Was it the kit from Volvo? I called a while ago and it was around $250, $100 sounds like a deal.

Nice job on the steering rack. Does the kit have bushings and other wear items, or just a re-seal? Was it the kit from Volvo? I called a while ago and it was around $250, $100 sounds like a deal.

The kit had everything except for the torrington bearings and races. I did not replace the bearings, they looked perfectly fine as did the races.

In this link , there is the supplier as well as some good info on helping ID the rack.

I used the Volvo Greenbook, excellent manual. I might add a few tips to the pictures, such as how to install the top seal for the pinion without the Volvo tool.

Played in the garage again today, still working on the rear suspension, making progress slowly.

Pics top to bottom:

Axle in vice, I have to remove the CV joint by smacking the inner part to force it compress a spring on the end of the shaft, no way to access the spring since it's inside the unit.

Tri-lobe, 930 Porsche CV and stock T-bird CV with t-bird axle below.

Bins full of parts

Naked center pumpkin housing. needs to be sandblasted and painted or powder coated next.

Uprights, housings for spindles, the one on the has been soda blasted 1st, but I didn't like the finish so I sand blasted afterwards.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,108
Last edited:
Took the ring gear off my old flywheel and put in on the new steel billet JVAB unit tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_2867.JPG
    IMG_2867.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,138
  • IMG_2864.JPG
    IMG_2864.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMG_2863.JPG
    IMG_2863.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:
Soda blasted the seams in the engine bay, I need to take the brake booster out to access parts of the bay a little better.

I was going to start welding yesterday but my MIG was out of gas :( Not something I want to weld with the TIG or oxy/acet setup.

I found another stress crack on the car, 2 actually, the doors where the window frame and door body meet up.

Attachments

• blasted panel.jpg
    blasted panel.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 876
  • door crack.jpg
    door crack.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 874
  • prep for welding.jpg
    prep for welding.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 872
  • welder.gif
    welder.gif