• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brake lights working with key off

rajjinator

I was changing the brake servo on my 1994 940 and noticed that the brake lights were working with the ignition switched off! Is this normal, or has someone bodged a permanent 12v feed to the brake lights for some reason?

I was changing the brake servo on my 1994 940 and noticed that the brake lights were working with the ignition switched off! Is this normal, or has someone bodged a permanent 12v feed to the brake lights for some reason?

Most cars are wired to permanent 12v feed on the brake lights.

Ask your local law enforcement folks about this. They'll probably tell you some good tales of young kids trying to avoid the police. The kids successful got away briefly, pulled into a driveway, shutoff the lights and car, and waited for the police to go by. But they got caught anyway because they didn't take their foot off the brake while trying to hide.

I have about a 50% chance 50% of my brakes lights work in the 242 key on or off, har har
Gotta love the old bulb sensor light, If it is lit a bulb is out. If it is not either they all work, or none do........

I keep my jackhandle under the seat, some think it is for self defense, nope. It is the perfect length to put between the seat and brake pedal to apply the brake so i can go back into the trunk and spin the bulbs till they work, no helper necessary.

this thread reminds me of growing up in a household that only drove SAABs or Volvos. I was DRIVING before I realized that every car didn't turn the headlights off with the ignition. It made no sense to me.

this thread reminds me of growing up in a household that only drove SAABs or Volvos. I was DRIVING before I realized that every car didn't turn the headlights off with the ignition. It made no sense to me.

86+ for 240s before that you could leave the lights on and or lock yourself out by pushing the master locking on the drivers door and shutting it.

Back