• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dave Barton's custom boost gauge face install/MBC installation on 5spd 740Ti

89_740Turbo

While looking to install a new MBC on my 740Ti, I was looking for a Boost Gauge. Obviously there are the pods which a lot of people use but I want to eliminate as much clutter as I can and keep things neat.

dl242gt told me that Dave sells custom 740 boost gauges to replace the stock on on the dash cluster. After taking a look, they are amazing. So here's my install documentation of Daves custom Boost Gauge face and how it looks plus my new MBC.

First dl242gt and I removed the dash cluster and removed all connectors. The battery was disconnected from the car at this point.

gpxmqsO.jpg

Here it is totally removed. The rear side of it

BBZSafBm.jpg

Here is Daves custom Boost Gauge face to replace the stock one. He offers 3 different kinds but this one was the most visually appealing and useful one. Its also a matter of preference. Its very clean and neatly made.

01ajZRn.jpg

Following Daves instructions, we removed what should be removed. Here is everything that you will need to take off.

H6v7yE9.jpg

You can peel off the stock boost gauge face with your finger nails or a flat head screw driver.
dl242gt taking it off.

3l2BQmO.jpg

Here is everything being screwed back in. The things that we removed of course hahaha

OSiY6Rf.jpg

Here is the new boost gauge face in. Thanks Dave for making it look so amazing!

GKrZCHg.jpg

Here is what the whole thing looks like with it on

53YA11Z.jpg

Now onto the boost controller. Here is my current setup.

T7HtaEA.jpg

Removal of the tubing. This was pretty straight forward.

ppqAMnzF.jpg

After the new tubing is set up. Separate hoses for the MBC

jKfm2Gq.jpg

Here is the new MBC to go with Daves new boost gauge face. Nice and red like the car :)

Ei778BA.ljpg

Last edited:
I dont know why the pictures are so big but yea. I was running stock PSI before. After installation, we set the boost to zero. Took it to the highway and floored it in 3rd and floored it in 4th to max RPM in order to see the current boost PSI. We got about 6. Nothing crazy.

Once we knew the stock PSI, we turned the knob 2 turns. One turn was about 1.5PSI. AFter 2 turns, we went back onto the road, floored it in 3rd and 4th. Holy **** was the power difference huge. The car is a lot faster now. After flooring it we noticed it was at 10 PSI where it currently sits. I dont plan on changing it. I might go to 10.5 but Im not itching for it yet until I get a new NPR.

When posting from imgur, choose “Large Thumbnail” before copying the img code. That will resize the pics to be more manageable when posted.

Glad you got the MBC hooked up and dialed in.

When posting from imgur, choose ?Large Thumbnail? before copying the img code. That will resize the pics to be more manageable when posted.

Glad you got the MBC hooked up and dialed in.

Duly noted. I'll come back and edit the pictures. I'm happy too. The car is about 190HP now and a lot faster. Once I get the new intercooler I'll up the boost to twelve.

Go through and put an "L" right before the .jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gpxmqsOl.jpg

Good mod, get an AFR gauge and turn it up! 10 is good, 13 is more better

While looking to install a new MBC on my 740Ti, I was looking for a Boost Gauge. Obviously there are the pods which a lot of people use but I want to eliminate as much clutter as I can and keep things neat.

dl242gt told me that Dave sells custom 740 boost gauges to replace the stock on on the dash cluster. After taking a look, they are amazing. So here's my install documentation of Daves custom Boost Gauge face and how it looks plus my new MBC.

First dl242gt and I removed the dash cluster and removed all connectors. The battery was disconnected from the car at this point.

gpxmqsOl.jpg

Here it is totally removed. The rear side of it

BZSafBml.jpg

Here is Daves custom Boost Gauge face to replace the stock one. He offers 3 different kinds but this one was the most visually appealing and useful one. Its also a matter of preference. Its very clean and neatly made.

01ajZRnl.jpg

Following Daves instructions, we removed what should be removed. Here is everything that you will need to take off.

H6v7yE9l.jpg

You can peel off the stock boost gauge face with your finger nails or a flat head screw driver.
dl242gt taking it off.

3l2BQmOl.jpg

Here is everything being screwed back in. The things that we removed of course hahaha

OSiY6Rfl.jpg

Here is the new boost gauge face in. Thanks Dave for making it look so amazing!

GKrZCHgl.jpg

Here is what the whole thing looks like with it on

53YA11Zl.jpg

Now onto the boost controller. Here is my current setup.

T7HtaEAl.jpg

Removal of the tubing. This was pretty straight forward.

pqAMnzFl.jpg

After the new tubing is set up. Separate hoses for the MBC

jKfm2Gql.jpg

Here is the new MBC to go with Daves new boost gauge face. Nice and red like the car :)

Ei778BAl.jpg

That was a fun day. A very nice well cared for car. We are thinking an exhaust, intercooler and simons ecu. Probably leave it at that and enjoy.

I did that years ago and now it's all turned black or fuzz has grown over it. I'll post a pic.

Might have something to do with me being near the river or the constant rain of water over the years.

fadedbarton.jpg

Last edited:
Go through and put an "L" right before the .jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gpxmqsOl.jpg

Good mod, get an AFR gauge and turn it up! 10 is good, 13 is more better

I'll be able to run 13psi with an AFR? I thought I would need a newer intercooler before upping the boost.

Its only a TD04-12b right now as I'm keeping the stock turbo in and upgrading everything else first before I throw in a bigger turbo

IMO a bigger intercooler isn't a "requirement" to run 13psi, but it is certainly a good improvement and will help keep you away from detonation. However, without a wideband AFR gauge it is just a guess on how your setup will handle increasing the boost. I agree with your method of upgrading the supporting items before changing the turbo, but even with all the right "supporting mods" it is still a good idea to monitor the AFRs and a wideband will give you direct feedback / warning if things aren't right under boost.
Some good reading material: http://brickspeed.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=903

Re: sbabbs turbo gauge...
My opinion is that since the Dave Barton gauge faces are a printed item (paper & ink), prolonged exposure in a very humid/damp environment will make the ink bleed as shown. I have a DB prancing moose magnet on the back of my car and after a few years of living through normal outdoor conditions (rain, snow, etc), the ink started to bleed around the edges...not a knock on the items just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
A bigger intercooler isn't a "requirement" to run 13psi, but it will certainly help keep you away from detonation. However, without a wideband AFR gauge it is just a guess on how your setup will handle increasing the boost. I agree with your method of upgrading the supporting items before changing the turbo, but even with all the right "supporting mods" it is still a good idea to monitor the AFRs and a wideband will give you direct feedback / warning if things aren't right under boost.
Some good reading material: http://brickspeed.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=903

My opinion is that since the Dave Barton gauge faces are a printed item (paper & ink), prolonged exposure in a very humid/damp environment will make the ink bleed as shown. I have a DB prancing moose magnet on the back of my car and after a few years of living through normal outdoor conditions (rain, snow, etc), the ink started to bleed around the edges...not a knock on the items just the nature of the beast.

I'm at work for another 7 hours so I'm going to read that link you shared. With that said, new order of operations:

1. AFR
2. Intercooler
3. IPD Cam
4. Exhaust (preferably the same time as the IPD cam)
5. Simons ECU/EZK

After that, I'll have achieved what my current goals are for the car. Then Ill be saving up for a T5 swap. Then a larger turbo.

A wide band is a good idea and was on the agenda in our discussions. To that end and to help cover any fuel he already has a chipped LH2.2 ecu. We just didn't put it in yet. I also didn't want to put the clutch to it's limit since there are more changes ahead and it's the daily driver. So we put the boost at a safe level for a stock clutch.

A wide band is a good idea and was on the agenda in our discussions. To that end and to help cover any fuel he already has a chipped LH2.2 ecu. We just didn't put it in yet. I also didn't want to put the clutch to it's limit since there are more changes ahead and it's the daily driver. So we put the boost at a safe level for a stock clutch.

Whats the stock clutch limit again?

That face is not laminated, because I found an unlaminated finished matched the matte finish of the other gauges better. It certainly could be and that would protect it, but I'm just not sure if the finish would look right. Those were developed a lot of years ago. It's the only printed thing I remember ever making without some sort of lamination.

Simon. Email me. I'll gladly send you another. I've never heard of such a thing happening til I saw that pick.

Also, I have and always will happily replace a sticker if the weather kills it. Just email me.
Dave

Back