• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Our latest '70 145 Project - Need a few things. Any Ideas?

I found this in the 145 - What is it?

I had a lucky find yesterday while cleaning the interior when I discovered my detached window latches in the glove box. I found this broken plastic part along with the latches. It is broken about 2" down from the gear.

Any thoughts? And if you do, can I source another online or secure a used one?

IMG_6041-e1578159733405.jpg

IMG_6042-e1578159699934.jpg

It's not a gear. It's a screw / retainer to hold the instrument cluster to the back of the dashboard.
There should be 2 of them.

What looks like a gear is actually just a knurled knob to grasp it and turn by hand.

It is really common for these to break as they get brittle and easily snap when tightened.

Volvo updated them to an all metal knob.

If 1 side of your instrument cluster is loose, then you have the reason in hand.

If you need 1, I have both plastic and metal ones in stock.

It is really common for these to break as they get brittle and easily snap when tightened.

Volvo updated them to an all metal knob.

If 1 side of your instrument cluster is loose, then you have the reason in hand.

If you need 1, I have both plastic and metal ones in stock.

Good news and yes my instrument cluster is hanging loose on one side. Send me a private message and I?ll give you my PayPal info. I will replace both of them. Metal I guess.

Making progress slowly...

We've made progress on the 145 project with the help of many of you on this forum. Thanks to all for helping a newbie get to know the 140 Series. We made the most progress on the interior. It is remarkable for a 50-year-old car.

I have the seats in my basement replete with new Pirelli webbing. The door cards and new plastic liners ready too but they will wait for reinstall until I sort out the vent window locks and a top post that needs gluing. I think I will remove them from the doors and take them to a glass shop as per recommendations from Forum members.

I removed the aluminum door thresholds for cleaning/polishing and found that some of the original plastic protective wrap was still in place. Sloppy pre-delivery preparation at the selling dealer (Stutz Plaisted) in 1970.

The distributor is out for rebuild and Pertronix is here for install when it comes back. Replacement headlight buckets went in Saturday with the H4s with new clips and adjusting screws from VP Auto Parts. I have a new harness with relays built-in for the lights and another harness coming along with a new pair of Koito round fog lamp yellow/chrome from Daniel Stern Lighting.

When I bought the 145, it was in "mid-resurrection" after a 39-year slumber. The seller completed a top-end rebuild, some brake, and suspension work. Basically enough to make it mobile. Because it was "mid" I received a few unmarked bags of screws, nuts, bolts, and clips. Not a huge amount but enough to confuse me. Many of these fasteners could use replacement including quite a few that I have taken off myself (I mark mine clearly).

I am curious and ask fellow Forum members if there is a generic assortment of "fasteners" that I can buy that will keep the project moving forward without interruption.

That's it for now.

A Good Day...

My friend, Mike and I worked on the 145 from 9 to 3 today. That is a long time for us as we are both busy guys. What we set out to do we did, so I am happy.

Here is what we accomplished:

Adjusted the driver's side rear door latch so it would close and stay closed.

Installed the wiring harness with relay for the new H4s supplied by Daniel Stern Lighting

Installed my new pair of Hella horns with relay, modifying existing bracket to fit

Remove and replace the gauge cluster holding screws with metal screws supplied by fellow Forum member Planetman (who was kind enough to call me to walk me through a sticky issue).

Removed vent windows in order to send them out to glue the latches (found in the glove box) in place.

Remove the front Stromberg carb for a rebuild (the rear already rebuilt last month).

Installed my absolutely perfect, new Kaito 7" diameter fog lights. I like the size as they seem all the more important than the typical Hella 5" lights. Daniel Stern Lighting once again.

I spoke with John from Ignition Engineering in Anaheim about my Bosch Distributor. He finished the rebuild replacing a few parts including the vacuum advance. John mentioned that he corrected the factory timing recommendation to run on today's fuel. The Pertronix was installed before all the calibrations were set. We will install the distributor and the rebuilt Stromberg next week and fire it up.

IMG_6056-e1578701245575.jpg

20200110_103213-e1578702106703.jpg

Moving forward - Carbs rebuilt, Distributor rebuilt, Ballast Resistor???

Picked up the front Stromberg today. I am glad I listened to my inner Volvo spirit and had this rebuild done. The diaphragm was torn and it was pretty cruddy inside. UPS delivered my rebuilt Bosch distributor with Pertronix installed. John at Ignition Engineering in Anaheim included a hand-drawn diagram illustrating the simple installation procedure. He included in this diagram a ballast resistor and I don't think I have one in a '70 145. At least I couldn't find something that looked like one.

I stopped by LeVines Auto Parts on my way home and purchased one for $14.00. Pretty simple looking little thing. I brought an inline glass fuse with me that I thought was the reason why my Blaupunkt AM radio isn't getting power. They haven't seen one so small in years. But they were kind enough to test it and turns out to be okay so I will have to look deeper to solve that issue.

Please weigh in on the ballast resistor dilemma. Do I have one tucked away somewhere or should I just go ahead and hook this beauty up? (the Green book has no reference to a ballast resistor that I could see)

Note: This is an early engine picture before we installed hose clamps on the fuel lines.

egg_Engine_o-e1579133693262.jpg

'70 145 - Another "where do these go?" questions.

Once again, an unmarked plastic bag has got me stumped. It looks like an interior piece with a C-clip, 2 smaller "clips" and a rubber grommet with a part #679759.

I could spend all day looking at the parts manual online but I think the Forum is a better use of time.

What are these things and do they all go together somehow?

IMG_6073.jpg

The rubber grommet is for the drain hole in the butt cheek (spare tire well).

The wire locks are for the carb linkage.

I believe the plastic piece protects the front carb from snow and ice being blown into the linkage and causing it to jam.

I have no idea where the circlip came from.

The rubber grommet is for the drain hole in the butt cheek (spare tire well).

The wire locks are for the carb linkage.

I believe the plastic piece protects the front carb from snow and ice being blown into the linkage and causing it to jam.

I have no idea where the circlip came from.

Good information. And since my lead carb is resting in my basement, I will see if your guess is a correct one. The c clip could go anywhere I guess

The answer is....

Thanks to Hyperfauto for leading me to the answer. I doubted but the parts catalog depicted the shield with the C-clip in place. The illustration was a bit confusing so I searched for an image of an original B20 twin-carb engine ( a rarity) and came up with this fitting. The C-clip holds it in place.

I am performing some modest modifications/upgrades but I am also an originality buff. I don't think my 145 will be seeing blowing snow so the notion I really need this is sort of absurd. I guess I like to impress the knowledgable folks at the next VCOA meet in Gettysburg.

My old friend from my days at Volvo Cars of North America has an original and rare Competition Services Catalog that he is sending me. I'll scan some pages and post them on my website if you are interested.

IMG_6074-e1579361944723.jpg

Need some help here! Wagon License lights, rear wiper and defroster...

Our project is a June build, 1970 145 with rear wiper and rear defroster. My Owners Manual is from a '69 as is my Greenbook. We have found the license plate lights are not working. We installed fresh bulbs and fuses. Still nothing. We know the problem but not how to access fixing it.

The wires were cut (not uncommon) but we can't gain access to the wires and do not know how to pull the headliner down to get at the wires. By the way, we tested the one wire you can see and there is no power from it. We are also unfamiliar with how to turn on the rear defroster and the rear wiper. There is only one unmarked factory-looking switch on the dash and it doesn't appear to do anything.

IMG_6120-1.jpg

IMG_6119-1.jpg

Back