• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Windshield support blocks, 240

First drive this morning. Nice to be able to see through a clean windshield and not see a bunch of excess butyl squeezed up on the inside. Like before/after cataract surgery.

Last edited:
Curious why you guys chose butyl over urethane. According to the web butyl only has 60 psi of holding vs 600 psi for urethane. Also it is recommended that older cars when replacing the glass use urethane. Went to order my new vinyl top for the coupe and the shop also mentioned that I should install my windshield with urethane and many installers frown on butyl. Comments please.

Because that's what was in there before and I felt more comfortable working with the butyl since I was doing it myself. Additionally, if I had to go back and remove it I felt I could do that more easily with the butyl than with the urethane. Lastly, urethane came into being more recently than butyl as unibodies became stiffer in torsion and bending. While the old 240's had a good unibody for their time, they're a lot more flexible than newer stuff. I like the extra 'give' that the butyl will provide the windshield if the unibody flexes a bit. Not suggesting that perspective is the right one for everyone -- just the right one for me. You should do what you're comfortable with.

Let's face it - if I hit something hard enough to pop the windshield out, I've likely got way bigger problems than the windshield popping out.

Curious why you guys chose butyl over urethane. According to the web butyl only has 60 psi of holding vs 600 psi for urethane. Also it is recommended that older cars when replacing the glass use urethane. Went to order my new vinyl top for the coupe and the shop also mentioned that I should install my windshield with urethane and many installers frown on butyl. Comments please.

:uh:

Ya they hate the butyl cleanup and they're trained to use the hard set, so usually they'll just lay a bead on top of what's left of the butyl instead of cleaning it off properly and make a real mess / build a leaky body to windshield junction.

But only after they scratch the living bejesus out of the paint in the pinch weld with their draw knife to insure a slow rusty automotive death knell.

Last edited:
^^^ Also what he said. Less of an issue for you Nelson, I'm guesssing, as yours was probably all cleaned up as a part of repainting the car? If you have to have an existing butyl seal set up removed to put the new windshield in, you are unlikely to get a pinch-weld cleanup from a glass shop that looks like this....

All good info from everyone. I'm leaning towards butyl for the simple fact that if I ever had to remove the glass ( not going happen ) it would make it easier.

I'm already taking points off myself. :lol:
If all goes as planned this project may need to go on permanent hold.

The window channel is clean and dry and waiting for glass install. My comment about taking points off has more to do with me finding faults in my new paint job. :grrr:

My buddy John heads down from Lynchburg, VA in the morning with his Ferrari in tow and I'll caravan/slum along in the Volvo with him as we head to "Pebble Beach" in Greenville for the Saturday festivities. Don't worry about points. French style rules. Which means you just vote for whatever you like. Sure is nice to be able to clearly see through the windshield.

http://www.euroautofestival.com/about-1/

Eurofest, sounds like fun times. Tom are you ready? Michael, have a good time. Looks like weather is going to be good too.

No, not ready. Going to see a Doc about shoulder surgery Monday instead just for fun.

Looks like my pitching career may be over.

Well that sucks. Hope it's nothing too serious. I had rotator cuff surgery awhile back. After 2 sessions of PT I decided I would do it on my own. Went really aggressive and recovered pretty fast. I hope you at least make it to the show, even without the coupe.

Back