• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TD04 feed and return questions

studmuffed

Hey all,

I am working on a B230f+t build on my 240. I got the oil feed set up from the gallery port on the front, and as far as I can tell, that feed line needs to go to the top port on the turbo? There are other threaded holes on the sides of the turbo and I'm not sure what they are for.

This is my first time working on turbos of any kind, so I'm sorry if I'm not describing this very well. I think I have the early style Mitsubishi TD04.

Thanks!
Nick

The feed is the top port, the drain is the bottom port, the 2 side ports are for water cooling the turbo. If clocked correctly.

Top of turbo is oil feed, directly below that is the oil drain, on the sides are the coolant feed & drain. (I don't believe it matters which side the coolant goes in/out of, so long as it's in the coolant ports.)

Could I leave the coolant lines off to start it up? I want to make sure the oil feed is working before I proceed.

he means crank w.o. spark. You want the turbo to have oil at first fire or it will mess it up. I prelubed mine then cranked engine with no spark with oil drain unhooked, so I could tell for sure the turbo had oil. You can run without the water line hooked to it but make sure you let it idle for a bit after a hard run or you will over heat the seals and others.

Could I leave the coolant lines off to start it up? I want to make sure the oil feed is working before I proceed.

Before you SPIN the turbo, fill the top oil supply port with your engine oil. It will drain, but you want to ensure the bearings are wet before the turbine starts rotating it.

Since this is a plus T, what system are you using for draining the TD04 back to the block? Factory drain line which you drilled the block for in the stock location? If you built a custom drain line of NPT fittings, you can count on it leaking..... the reason the OEM's don't use NPT.

IIRC, there is a preferred direction for the coolant flow which creates a "siphon effect". For sure, Garrett states this in their documentation.... I can't recall if MITSU does.

Does your +T oil supply match the factory steel line ID? From memory, should be a -4 (4/16's of an inch ID).

Before you SPIN the turbo, fill the top oil supply port with your engine oil. It will drain, but you want to ensure the bearings are wet before the turbine starts rotating it.

Since this is a plus T, what system are you using for draining the TD04 back to the block? Factory drain line which you drilled the block for in the stock location? If you built a custom drain line of NPT fittings, you can count on it leaking..... the reason the OEM's don't use NPT.

IIRC, there is a preferred direction for the coolant flow which creates a "siphon effect". For sure, Garrett states this in their documentation.... I can't recall if MITSU does.

Does your +T oil supply match the factory steel line ID? From memory, should be a -4 (4/16's of an inch ID).

I'm using a kit from Kinugawa for the drain and feed. The feed lines are -4 AN and all the hardware seems right. The drain is going from the bottom of the turbo to the stock location where I drilled and tapped the block. I was planning on just using hose barb and clamps for the drain. I'll probably upgrade down the line.

So long as the entire oil drain is "male inside female" as it descends. If your oil path encounters NPT threads, then, expect leaks at those junctions.

I ran one of the KINUGAWA -4 teflon oil feeds for about 6 years, and it worked flawlessly.

I got to say that I used 1/2" NPT threads on the block boss that I drilled for the drain on the 240 I did a +T on and it's been dry as a bone for 5 years now. I did use Eaton pipe dope on the threads. Perhaps that made the difference. YMMV

Back