• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electrical power steering pump on a (740) (T6)

poulrais

... On a 740. Hit the enter key too fast while typing the title.

Anyone tackled on this? Is there a universal electrical ps pump or one from another car that is usable on a 740 without rebuilding the hole car?

Check out this link regarding EPS which appears to eliminate the need for a pump altogether, near the end of the article. I am going to be using this EPS in my 1800ES project to gain more engine bay room.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/toyota-electric-power-steering-eps-conversion/

Yes I heard about these Yaris electrical power assist but I'm a little bit worried about the steering wheel turning speed they can cope with.

Going to read this article for sure.

Thanks!

Check out this link regarding EPS which appears to eliminate the need for a pump altogether, near the end of the article. I am going to be using this EPS in my 1800ES project to gain more engine bay room.

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/toyota-electric-power-steering-eps-conversion/

Those feel like poo poo and have poor return to center. If you're okay with that, then it's a good setup.

The Volvo C30 pumps are a common one to use for an EPAS setup as well.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/volvo-epas-conversion.183274/

Those feel like poo poo and have poor return to center. If you're okay with that, then it's a good setup.

That's what I was worried about. Good for a street driven daily, not so for an autocross/lapping setup.

And modifying the steering rack could be a pain in the arse.

Why are you wanting to use an EPAS setup?

Because the intake manifold I want to use on my T6 swap will not clear the PS pump. It's a very nice 2JZ intake mani that comes with dual fuel rails and a 90mm throttle body. Deeworks is going to make me an adapter plate/flange for it.

Paying $800 CAD for the thing with the rails and TB. And I already wanted to ditch the ac pump on the T6 so I'll try to figure out a ay to run only the alternator with a very short belt.

Custom built T6 turbo intake manifolds cost an arm and a leg...

Ahhhh, got it. EPAS it up. I realized the link for the volvo setup didn't have the most info, but it's a pretty common swap with plenty of info out there on doing it.

I thought it was red block powered, so I was going to suggest a KRC pump with a properly sized pulley.

Ahhhh, got it. EPAS it up. I realized the link for the volvo setup didn't have the most info, but it's a pretty common swap with plenty of info out there on doing it.

I thought it was red block powered, so I was going to suggest a KRC pump with a properly sized pulley.

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that it was for a T6 swap in a 740.

I'm running an EPAS pump out of an R53 BMW Mini in my T6 swapped 242. Had to the ditch the belt driven pump for the same reason as you. It's a very simple install with just 50A fused 12v constant, 12v switched, and a third wire to the alternator exciter. This keeps the pump from turning on until the alternator starts charging. It runs at a constant low speed and ramps up to max when a drop in pressure is detected.

I picked that pump because it uses an externally plumbed reservoir so it was a little easier to package for me than the C30 or Merc a-class pump that people also like to use.

I'm running an EPAS pump out of an R53 BMW Mini in my T6 swapped 242. Had to the ditch the belt driven pump for the same reason as you. It's a very simple install with just 50A fused 12v constant, 12v switched, and a third wire to the alternator exciter. This keeps the pump from turning on until the alternator starts charging. It runs at a constant low speed and ramps up to max when a drop in pressure is detected.

I picked that pump because it uses an externally plumbed reservoir so it was a little easier to package for me than the C30 or Merc a-class pump that people also like to use.

Thanks! I will check these out for sure!

I have heard that the volvo p1 pump can have some issues when not hooked up to the CAN. I think it will constantly run at 80% duty cycle if it doesn't get feedback from an ECU and then the pumps don't last that long.

This is all third hand knowledge so its probably worth what you paid to read it. (nothing) :-P

I'm running an EPAS pump out of an R53 BMW Mini ... It's a very simple install with just 50A fused 12v constant, 12v switched, and a third wire to the alternator exciter. This keeps the pump from turning on until the alternator starts charging. It runs at a constant low speed and ramps up to max when a drop in pressure is detected.

That sounds like a great solution. Any idea what the peak flow rate is from the pump?

That sounds like a great solution. Any idea what the peak flow rate is from the pump?

I have no clue. Installed it on pure speculation and it worked out pretty well. The amount of steering assist is definitely lower than it was with the belt driven pump so the flow is certainly not equivalent to the factory pump.

I also wonder which serpentine belt to use if I ditch the PS pump and AC compressor.

There's a million ways to solve this problem but here's what I ended up with. AC compressor is not shown but goes below the alternator as usual:

4H96g4Hh.jpg

It's the tensioner and pivot bolt off a B8444s which I conveniently had laying around.

I have no clue. Installed it on pure speculation and it worked out pretty well. The amount of steering assist is definitely lower than it was with the belt driven pump so the flow is certainly not equivalent to the factory pump.

There's a million ways to solve this problem but here's what I ended up with. AC compressor is not shown but goes below the alternator as usual:

4H96g4Hh.jpg

It's the tensioner and pivot bolt off a B8444s which I conveniently had laying around.

Nice to know! I will have to find an even shorter belt since I'm not running the AC compressor.

What is this thing over the starter motor?

Back