• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who has altered their Ackermann ratio?

940 16 valve

Wanted to hear people's experiences who have altered the Ackermann ratio on Ben's quick steer roll correctors when using the holes for the quicker steering ratio.

I have the old version without adjustable Ackerman and the tires scrub pretty severely at full steering lock. Homer put the newer spacers on his car and it's buttery smooth at all angles. I think it's a worthwhile thing to adjust correctly.

Following!
I have the old version without adjustable Ackerman and the tires scrub pretty severely at full steering lock. Homer put the newer spacers on his car and it's buttery smooth at all angles. I think it's a worthwhile thing to adjust correctly.
I’m in the same boat! It’s so bad I have kept it on the stock steering quickness.

I had to use the 2 notch shim, the stock brake rotors rub on the qsrc on the 3 and 4 notch shims. I meant to grind the qsrc when I had the rotors off last time but forgot so I'm stuck. I would like to try the max setting 4 notch shim eventually. I don't notice any scrubbing though at this setting.

On my txr qsrc's I played around a bit and 50% Ackerman seemed to increase cornering grip a bit with r15/60, pushing beyond that just resulted in more understeer. When I switched to r17/45 I switched back to the 100% Ackerman setup.

On those less Ackerman = more rub irrc, I just made up some stops on the rack. Those only have one quick steer setting, in contrast to the kalplenke ones

Last edited:
I had to use the 2 notch shim, the stock brake rotors rub on the qsrc on the 3 and 4 notch shims. I meant to grind the qsrc when I had the rotors off last time but forgot so I'm stuck. I would like to try the max setting 4 notch shim eventually. I don't notice any scrubbing though at this setting.

If you upgrade the front brakes with our medium brake kit or our big brake kit you get a lot more clearance to play with.

Wanted to hear people's experiences who have altered the Ackermann ratio on Ben's quick steer roll correctors when using the holes for the quicker steering ratio.

I have the older V1 (?) with adjustable ackerman, and I run them in the fastest setting on the 240 drift car.
I think it has the #3 setting currently, and the lead wheel (in drift, so inside wheel when turning) has about 10? less angle than the trailing/outside wheel at full lock. I'd like to get this to be a bit more parallel for drifting.
For every day driving it feels great, and works well on road courses as well.

I'm going to be changing back to the middle setting, as steering forces are really high when doing fast high angle drift entries. I'll post back with what ackerman plate I end up using to get the toe change where I *think* it needs to be.

I have the older V1 (?) with adjustable ackerman, and I run them in the fastest setting on the 240 drift car.
I think it has the #3 setting currently, and the lead wheel (in drift, so inside wheel when turning) has about 10? less angle than the trailing/outside wheel at full lock. I'd like to get this to be a bit more parallel for drifting.

I'm going to be changing back to the middle setting, as steering forces are really high when doing fast high angle drift entries. I'll post back with what ackerman plate I end up using to get the toe change where I *think* it needs to be.

Good feed back!

I changed mine once.

72296804.jpg

I'd like to see your setup and what you're using to measure this stuff with sometime. :)

Thanks for all the replies. I finally dug into this the other day. I wish I had known what I know now before I first installed them. I chatted with Ben and he suggested flipping the insert to move the bolt hole toward the midline.

With running the middle holes (20% quicker steering) on the QSRC's I was getting one tire dragging, but also the outside tire would hit the frame at full lock (stock 16's). I did a quick test drive after flipping the insert and doing an alignment and it seems like the tire is not dragging that I can notice now. Probably an equally nice side-effect is I don't think the tire hits the frame on at full lock now! The Ackerman may not be spot on, but I think this gives a better starting off point. Also when I initially installed everything initially I had to shorten my inner tie rods as they would bottom out in the tie rod end; I might have been able to get away without that if I had flipped the insert from the get-go. Hope this helps someone else in future.

So if this is how it comes
eq2x5ALl.jpg

I removed the insert and flipped it to this orientation.
gU8lbf0l.jpg

To give you an idea how much this moves things, I had almost 3" of total toe in after flipping the plates! A side note, cause this moves the tie rod pivot point outward relative the strut, it was slightly contacting the brake dust shield - enough to make it drag on the rotor. You just have to bend it at the front, a couple of hits with a drift and a hammer and you're good to go.

Back