• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone put a b23x in a Toyota Hilux?

TouringMusician

I recently found myself the owner of a small 2 man carpentry company, and I?m getting tired of putting the interior of my poor Volvo through the abuse of hauling cut up decks to the dump.

So I started looking at little Toyota pickups (I had one once and love them) but I never was a 22r nerd like many are. About 10% of the Hiluxes here in Colorado have blown motors and the other 90% are wildly expensive. But there are blown motor 4x4 trucks for barely 4 digits?

I know the Toyota used the AW71, so it?s plausible to swap bellhousings and possibly have a b23x Hilux, correct? But has anybody ever heard of a way to connect the Toyota 5 speed manual to a Volvo block? I ran across some ancient forums in the Toyota world that mentioned an adapter, but seeing as this is such a rare swap, I?d doubt something exists?

P.S.-I know it would be easy enough to just use a Volvo transmission, but I was hoping to end up with a 4x4 truck, which would be way easier if the Toyota stuff could somehow work with the Volvo motor.

Anyway, I?m just wildly spitballing here, but I like Toyota Hiluxes and I like Volvo motors, and I don?t want to spend $7k+ on a 35 year old work truck.

Thanks!

Did one in a 2wd hilux almost 10 years ago. It worked out great. Just needed to hack up the oil pan to clear the steering. My advice, get something more modern with more support

^What Erik said. Get something that's not hacked up and that's going to be reliable. If it must be a Toyota, and a minitruck, a Tacoma would be a good choice. Modern enough to have safety features, and a reliable drivetrain that has decent parts support.

Did one in a 2wd hilux almost 10 years ago. It worked out great. Just needed to hack up the oil pan to clear the steering. My advice, get something more modern with more support

Thanks for the tip on the steering clearance, hadn?t even gotten to the point of trying to put a tape on something yet. Did you mount it upright or at the Volvo angle? Not having a Hilux in front of me, it?s hard to get precise measurements?

In terms of the modern vehicle, the reality is that I just want to enjoy what I drive. It often seems unwise, but I?m one of those ?life?s too short to drive boring cars? kinds of people. I get away with it because 240s are so easy for me to keep reliable, but 240s don?t have truck beds that can get nasty and carry tall things. Also, I?m going to pay like $2k for a truck, so either I cobble together a Hilux with a blown motor and the b23 I?ve got on the ground, or I?m buying a crappy 80s ranger or something I can get for $2k. I do like Tacomas through the 90s, but beat 2wd trucks start in the $5k range. I?m honestly a bit of a TBI Chevy guy as well, but I haven?t found something worthwhile at a cheap price point. I completely understand modern vehicles, but I?ve gotten away with relying on well maintained old crap for this long, and I enjoy it, so I?m gonna stay in the 80s or before if I can haha.

1982 Toyota Pickup Truck RWD - $2,495

00l0l_3VufZUlz5T3z_0CF0t2_600x450.jpg

A little bit rough but you can make your money back on one job.

Back