• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cutting Overload Springs

thesilverbrickpdx

I just cut two coils off my front springs on my '91 240 wagon, and I'm looking to cut 1.5 coils off the back. I'm just worried about the springs popping out considering there isn't any real way of securing the spring. Is the factory rubber perch enough to prevent this from happening? I figure the only time this is possible is when the shock is fully extended, and a coil and a half shouldn't be enough to make this happen...right?

I plan on buying lowering springs sooner than rather later, but for now this is where I'm at. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your post has two questions, the board spring-cutting curmudgeon answered, sort of.
Search for stock car springs and suburban shocks, read a bit, also search motion ratio for the rear suspension.
Then get to cobbling.

Or just get IPD lowering springs, they go on sale a lot.

Ziptie the spring in place in the meantime. If you don't zip tie at least 1 crucial suspension part in place, you are too fancy for most here :-P

Sport Lowering Springs - 240 Wagon Sale Price:$269.95 In Stock

21176.jpg

Go ahead and cut the springs they will not fall out. I cut four coils from the front of my 85 245, shortened the strut tubes and cut 3.75 coils from the rear. I have daily driven the car for 7+ years and over 100,000 miles without fail. Before they made lowering springs this is how we lowered cars. Is it correct no, is it safe debatable, does it work hell yes.

Back