• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Propav8r buys a P2 V70R

Okay, dilemma time for the wagon.

Finding a 2.4 T5 motor has been easier said than done. Sorry, but I’m not paying two grand for someone’s blown apart T5 motor that needs machine work.

The attractive option at this point is to just put an R motor back in it and sell the thing.

The other option is to keep looking for an 81mm bore motor and build that up, and worry less about the motor while being able to enjoy the thing.

Idk. Really just bumping this thread out of boredom I guess. Maybe there’s another option I’m not aware of.

Build. I could get away with doing nothing or just shimming an 81mm block for peace of mind. I’d want a block guard in a 2.5 motor I think, and that’s way more expensive.

I say all of this with the grain of salt that I never make a good automotive choice.

I look at this in three equally wrong ways.

1: Find a 2.3 T5 engine, shim it, put a stock tune on it, and live yo life.
2: Find a 2.5T engine (B5254T2 IIRC), shim it, stock tune, and live yo life. or sell it.
3: Find a 2.5 R engine (B5254T4), swap it in, and sell it.

I'm not dissing the BlockGuard, and I think if you're in love with the car its the best way to go.

I have a pretty healthy fear of R's in stock form. You already did the 4C delete, and you're continently close enough to Derrick if **** gets ****y with the AWD or electronic stuff it can spend some time with him .

I think you've gotta decide if the enjoyment/experience you get from the R is worth the probably $12-15k market price right now, versus something else in that tier (or cheaper).

I'd find a 2.5 bottom end. Shim it. I'd then remove the tune. I'd then drive and enjoy it.

Jordan

Yeah, that’s another option. There’s a really clean 2.5T car that got wrecked in a yard kinda near me, or a known good R motor at Kenny’s house, farther away.

If you convince Kenny to pull the engine out of his spare R I'll be racing at AMP on the end of the month and you can come pick it up from me at the track.. 6 hour round trip beats 12 hours..

Last edited by a moderator:
Motor was yanked from Kenny's parts car a few weeks back and has been sitting in my shop. Need to get started on the cleanup.

I ordered everything(?) I need to reassemble the motor from FCP the other day, and ordered the block shims from Deeworks this evening.

Head goes to the machine shop to get cleaned up and skimmed next week, and a localish friend has volunteered use of his shop for the swap, so hopefully we'll be rolling again here before too long.

Amazingly slow progress. The head from my original motor turned out to be junk. It was warped badly and the cam journals were no longer true.

Don’t really want to use the head from the parts motor since I boogered up the sealing surfaces during removal, so I sourced another motor.

That head went to the machine shop last week. Hoped I’ll get a call back on that fairly soon with good news.

Is the new motor another 2.5 T ? For all of the purist BS out there (cough cough Swedespeed cough cough), the R motors have some serious issues with additional HP, might as well get another engine and have some peace of mind.

I went round and round with it, and wound up finding another R motor. I thought about going the T5 motor route, but the cheapest I could find one of those was a couple grand.

They also seem to have issues with rod bearings as well. This motor is going to get shimmed.

Shims ? Nice! I'm taking notes. My 05 has 255K miles on it and has gone full hybrid (oil/gas). I'm aiming for 300K miles before I do a rebuild on the engine and re-spray the car.

Long time no update here. The car had been sitting for about a year in my garage, and I have been on the road pretty much constantly for work and stuff. Makes it hard to commit to a full weekend of car work sometimes, especially with family and such as well.

But I digress.

I have been gathering parts for awhile now and last weekend everything lined up. I had a good block and head ready to go, the shims, all my gaskets/seals/consumables, and a coworker agreed to let me use his lift.

Derrick was also free this weekend, so he came up the mountain with his knowledge and tools and we knocked it out.

Friday evening was motor assembly. Got the old motor cleaned up, block shimmed, checked out, and then fully assembled in my garage.

P9GMyNBh.jpg

gsYwgVVh.jpg

JhEQFgdh.jpg

gVBChA2h.jpg

bw77GHMh.jpg

Saturday morning, my coworker shows up with his truck and trailer, and we got everything loaded up and over to his shop. By noon, the old motor was out of the car.

xftLc1jh.jpg

GVCwhnmh.jpg

KPCjJYfh.jpg

We actually made really good time through most of the day Saturday. The accessories came off the old motor and got swapped over, transmission came off, clutch and flywheel came off and got swapped over too. I didn't surface the flywheel or replace the clutch since all that really only has like 20k miles on it, and it looked fine. I did go ahead and replace the slave cylinder though.

Everything was gravy until we went to put the rear main in so we could re-mate the engine and trans. Apparently there's a new style of seal that is very thin rubber and doesn't have a spring on the sealing lip. Derrick kinda groaned when that came out of the box and goes "man these are hard to install and I've had a few leak" but we tried it anyway.

Of course it messed up. The lip got pinched and we couldn't save it. Derrick also noticed a broken exhaust stud in the replacement head at this point that both us and the machine shop had missed. Luckily, that came out super easy with a nut welded on, even though the stud broke down in the hole.

Unfortunately, it was now Saturday afternoon at 3pm. I'm 2 hours from the closest dealer, and no parts stores around me had a seal in stock.

I called up my buddy Luke in Knoxville, and luckily he said a friend of his had one and he offered to bring it about halfway and meet us at the Tail of the Dragon.

Derrick and I hopped in the Togue Limo 960 and headed that way, having some much needed fun and laughs along the way. By the time we got back with the new seal, it was 9pm and we were both beat anyhow.

7jR5jia.mp4

We started about 9am on Sunday and got the trans and engine mated back together and installed on the subframe.

VLqjX4Jh.jpg

After that, the wiring harness, turbo, and heater/radiator hoses went back on.

By lunchtime, we were ready to drop the car back onto the subframe. A little drama ensued with the steering shaft alignment (foreshadowing here), but it went in without too much cussing.

Cp1uj45.mp4

Once that's all back together, we hooked the power steering and AC lines back up, among other things. Shifter cables went back on and the clutch line got reconnected and bled. That's when things got weird.

When I pressed the clutch pedal, I could feel it rubbing something and the steering wheel would move. Du hwhat?

Derrick got up under the dash and realized that the aluminum steering shaft had gotten bent. We suspect this happened because the wheel was all the way extended when we dropped the subframe, and probably the weight and angle of the subframe tweaked it during engine removal.

tWNlcgeh.jpg

We managed to straighten it enough to make the car steerable again and then finished bleeding the clutch. Luke luckily has a replacement shaft from a parts car too, so that works out.

Once that was sorted, we were able to drop the car back down, Derrick packed up and hit the road home, and my coworker and I got the car loaded back on the trailer and unloaded at my house.

ONIekuGh.jpg

efAPl46h.jpg

All the stuff that requires a lift is now done. It's really just a matter of filling up fluids, plugging some stuff back in, fixing the steering shaft, and crossing my fingers that everything's good, and cranking it. Hopefully nothing else but the tires went bad from sitting. I'm sure there will be some nagging issues to handle, but the lion's share of the repairs are done I hope.

Last edited:
Back