• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No speedo after G80 swap in 89 244

Prime240

240 addict
Hello turbobricks
Now before going any further: I am aware that the tone ring on a G80 is made for ABS cars and won?t be read as is in my 1989 240 DL.
Now I was thinking, maybe I am being too na?ve, that if I swapped also the cover and used a later car cluster it could read the speed signal.
So I took everything out of a 1993 244 but unfortunately the speedometer does not move.
Have I been too na?ve to think this could be that easy to fix? is there something else I should?ve looked for or it?s really impossible to have a GE80 correctly read speed in a non-ABS car regardless of what cluster and what cover you use?
Thank you for your time and ideas

Did you swap the differential VR sensor too? If so, is the clearance from tip of sensor to the tone ring correct? (I'm thinking it should be 1mm / 0.040", but I haven't had my coffee yet.)

Did you swap the differential VR sensor too? If so, is the clearance from tip of sensor to the tone ring correct? (I'm thinking it should be 1mm / 0.040", but I haven't had my coffee yet.)
Hi
Yes, we swapped the sensor along with the cover
Did not measure distance from tone ring to sensor... don?t see how I could have
Thx

The wiring on the car likes to break right where it goes through the grommet in the trunk. Now that you have been working on it you may have broken a connection.

The wiring on the car likes to break right where it goes through the grommet in the trunk. Now that you have been working on it you may have broken a connection.

Thats a good idea

In other news today I learned that the cover I took myself off a 1993 244 might not be from that car. The guy that had it just told me today he probably put one from a 940 on it for some reason... good grief... so I guess there is my problem?

I haven't personally measured and shimmed a diff VR sensor, but I'd measure depth from edge of hole to a tooth, then measure the sensor mounting flat to tip distance, and subtract to get the clearance. From the pictures, the 48-tooth sensor has 2 parallel pole tips (the metal patches sticking out) that match the tooth-to-tooth spacing.

Note: I think the 3pin connector to the speedo changes between early and late electronic speedos. You'll need to verify this but IIRC
- non-abs speedo goes blue/black/grn-wt, or +12v/gnd/VR
- abs speedo goes blue/grn-wt/black, or +12v/VR/gnd

There should be some small letters on the board, maybe + / G+ / G-, or +12v/VR/gnd. If you have both old and new speedos, you can probably figure it out. You may need to swap grn-wt and black if I'm correct.

Edit: I found my pic of a '91 non-abs speedo board:

Last edited:
I never got my speedo to work correctly on my non ABS 1990 240 G80 swap. I cut the windows to 12.

I tried the two post pickup- way too fast

I tried the alum cover with original sensor, no dice. No speed.

I tried various combos. I forget exactly what I did. ^^

I think flat sensor, from an alum cover, with an alum cover MAY be the secret.

Last edited:
Resurrected thread batman!

So ended up finalizing this by cutting the extra windows on the tone ring and putting back the original cluster
I do get a speed reading but its completely off showing a much faster speed than what I am actually going.
Now we did not cut the separations flush, just cut a piece off the middle: is it why my readings are off?
Thank you

I sold my 1990 240 before I could ever get it to work. I tried the two pickup blade sensor and it read about double the speed.

Good luck. Post back with the results.

You should have 12 teeth left. Any more and speedo is off.

I do have 12 complete teeth left those that were cut were not cut all the way though?. Just snapped 1/3 in the middle. Is that my problem? Should I had completely filed them down?
Thx

I do have 12 complete teeth left those that were cut were not cut all the way though?. Just snapped 1/3 in the middle. Is that my problem? Should I had completely filed them down?
Thx
That certainly seems to be the problem. It's a magnetic sensor, not a laser beam, right?
Did you look at sensor alignment relative to the tone ring?

Back