• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Final thread about 16V clearance

EFbI4

Hi, guys!

In first - I know how to use search! I read tons of threads, but there is no final decision...

Well... I'm working on new configuration of my 940

BA2S37K.png

Well, I'm bought 16V head from B234F engine and for that moment I can't make decision - make or not valve reliefs in my new Mahle pistons. Yes yes yes, valve reliefs is needed, says turbobricks! But TheLastArtOf in few threads says smthng like "I'm just put head on the block and goes to dragstrip!" TLAO is old good member of this board, I like his chips for ECU and I think he have no reason to write bull**** for masses.

But 95% other says: only reliefs, no other way!

Disclaimer - there is no about the money, new engine builds with quality expensive parts, but this moment with reliefs in something principal for me!

Have you some 16v on redblock WITHOUT cutting?

I hope answers in this thread will be simply founded our childers by request in google "b230 16v valve relief" - now in google I can't find answer.

Thank you very much!

Sounds like money is the real issue here. You either don't have the money to replace the valves when they bend or you don't have the money to pay for notching, or you don't have the money to pay for pistons with valve reliefs.

The current Tb wisdom is that it works without the reliefs... I myself was never brave enough to try this. I did measure with clay and there's not a lot of clay left after squishing.

YMMV.

Many people have done it. They just don't post about it. Just get on with it. I mean you could of just bought the pistons with valve reliefs already done.

Hi, guys!

In first - I know how to use search! I read tons of threads, but there is no final decision...

Well... I'm working on new configuration of my 940

BA2S37K.png

Well, I'm bought 16V head from B234F engine and for that moment I can't make decision - make or not valve reliefs in my new Mahle pistons. Yes yes yes, valve reliefs is needed, says turbobricks! But TheLastArtOf in few threads says smthng like "I'm just put head on the block and goes to dragstrip!" TLAO is old good member of this board, I like his chips for ECU and I think he have no reason to write bull**** for masses.

But 95% other says: only reliefs, no other way!

Disclaimer - there is no about the money, new engine builds with quality expensive parts, but this moment with reliefs in something principal for me!

Have you some 16v on redblock WITHOUT cutting?

I hope answers in this thread will be simply founded our childers by request in google "b230 16v valve relief" - now in google I can't find answer.

Thank you very much!

What wheels are those:drool:

Thanks for the picture. I am getting close to do the 16v dance and too have wondered about that.

Did you damage the valves or it is now a matter of notching the pistons?

That pic Looks like exhaust valves hit.
Do the valves stick below the deck when closed?
The piston chases the exhaust valve closed.
The difference whether the valves hit may be Turbo or Non-Turbo cam?

Due to the the lack of overlap in a turbo cam that would allow more piston to valve clearance.
Incorrect cam timing could also cause piston to valve interaction.
Head gasket thickness also comes into play.

Engine runs without issues. Valves ok )
That's 234 cam with stock timing and stock head gasket. I'm pretty sure with 204 head there is be no problem with valve clearance at all!

If the factory thought it was necessary I would say they are necessary, believe me OEM's didn't want to spend a penny more than they had to when building these cars. TB guys also don't want to spend a penny more than necessary and try running no reliefs and end up with pistons like the picture above.

even if it is possible it will limit your ability to adjust your cam timing. That being said I suspect that people are using a thicker headgasket when not cutting valve reliefs.

Back