• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking at a 142, what to look for

I should have been clearer. I realize CA had strickter standards.
Is it that all CA cars were injected in '72?

Yes.

Everything was D-jet here.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
He clocked it and it actually was faster. We have the Durea Hillclimb road open to the public most of the year. Not that he went through that many turns to do that, the 142 has the largest wheel gap in the front lol, it needs to come down like 4 inches. It's like the spring is uncoiling and raising the car. I don't know if that's a thing, but it sure looks like it.

But I hear you, my 79 242 feels quick but I know it isn't except when up against another non turbo 240.

40 DCOE(like) carbs, cam, exhaust, and some head work (can't tell on that last one) and you'll probably get a decent 150 - 160 HP out of the B20. Vs. only every so slightly more from a bone stock 940T.

And with the 940 probably weighing 500 - 600 lbs more... That's not hard to believe.

Last edited:
40 DCOE(like) carbs, cam, exhaust, and some head work (can't tell on that last one) and you'll probably get a decent 150 - 160 HP out of the B20. Vs. only every so slightly more from a bone stock 940T.

And with the 940 probably weighing 500 - 600 lbs more... That's not hard to believe.

It has a fuel injection head on it for some reason, he seemed to think it was a performance mod. I have no idea if it was higher compression or shaved or something.

Well you are the one who passed it on. We all learn from those guys, I thank Ian on a regular basis haha. So thanks to JohnMC as well!

Wait, this thing has pushrods? Learned something else haha, the cars this old are new to me.

Having the intake and exhaust on the same side always rubs me the wrong way, I can't believe how long Jeep stuck with that arrangement.

It has a fuel injection head on it for some reason, he seemed to think it was a performance mod. I have no idea if it was higher compression or shaved or something.

Fuel injected heads got somewhat better-flowing ports. Also, depending on the year, bigger valves.

Plus the 8.7-1 compression will run well on what passes for gasoline these days.

Yeah, and they're also reverse-flow.

The B20 is so much fun, you should try it and then immediately cry!

DSC01347.png

:nod:

That sweet B20 sewing machine sound!

Plus the 8.7-1 compression will run well on what passes for gasoline these days.

From what I've read so long as you aren't running the 10.5:1 ratio the B20E got then you should be fine on pump gas. Apparently people get pinging with that on the high octane (91) we have in California.

As far as older pushrod designs go I've found the B18 and B20 to perform very well. They certainly rev a lot better and put out more usable torque than other OHV four cylinder cars I've driven.

Back