• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V/B234 coil pack options?

totallyKei

Hey there guys! Through snooping around, there are some obscure Swede native 16V turbo setups tucked away on YouTube and such. A lot of the nicely built cars over there seem to have figured out a coil that really works nicely with the 16V head. I think I am seeing CBR600 coils tucked neatly into the heads, those coils are pencil type and don?t use mounting hardware. They have neat seals and snug into place. I?d go grab some to test, but the displacement variations also lead to dimension variation, while all having similar looks to them. (They?re also a bit pricey, but if nobody knows what I?m looking for I?ll volunteer to grab a bunch and post results for you guys) Do any of you guys know the key? I?ve slowly been chipping away at the harness for the Elite 750 the car will run on, it?s finished and covered and ready for end connectors at this point.

Thanks for peeking, hope you all have been safe! I?ve been having a ton of fun with my redblock ventures, and I hope you guys can say the same. Happy belated holidays, too!

Do you want spark plug wires or COP? The DSM wasted spark coilpack is still amazing after all these years. The ls d585 coilpacks have also worked well but both will require mounting and plug wires.

So the ones he mentions being 10mm too short, the 2003+ CBR600 coils?

(Thanks a ton for the help, btw!)

No, the second ones in the link. The 'Short' ones. The first one in the link is the 'Extra Short', which is too short.

You want these ones
CIMG1840.JPG

Honda CBR 600 motorcycle years 1989 - 2002
Honda CBR 1000 motorcycle years 1987 - 1999

I found the info in this thread:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=4690681&postcount=60
photo%25203.JPG

I used Toyota Corolla's 1996+ COPs for years. There are plenty of these at the scrap yards sold for like $10 each.

Do you want spark plug wires or COP? The DSM wasted spark coilpack is still amazing after all these years. The ls d585 coilpacks have also worked well but both will require mounting and plug wires.

I built a nice cam sensor so I could run a sequential setup, thank you though! I?ll keep those in mind.

No experience, just an observation that the CBR coils are 2-wire per the SR20 link above. The Toyota coil referenced above is 4-wire. Depending on how your ignition system is going to be set up, this may be important.

No experience, just an observation that the CBR coils are 2-wire per the SR20 link above. The Toyota coil referenced above is 4-wire. Depending on how your ignition system is going to be set up, this may be important.

Yeah, I?ve been thinking about this. I?ve been looking for a compact four channel igniter, if I can find something to fit in a form factor way to tuck or mount in the valley or maybe on the firewall I?d be a happy camper. Not going for a sema build but I am picky about my harnesses, neatness and longevity

Many(myself included) have used VAG 1.8T coils and they fit under the cover. Bosch 0 986 221 024 or similar. Can't remember if the cover needed a very little grind on the inside.

Many(myself included) have used VAG 1.8T coils and they fit under the cover. Bosch 0 986 221 024 or similar. Can't remember if the cover needed a very little grind on the inside.

Awesome, awesome. I can grab one of those easily and try that out, thank you!

I also was looking for this info.
Im running LH2.4 with wasted spark (b230f) at the moment. But swapping to a b234f so i was looking for a neat solution without long ignitionleads.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used VAG coils on one I built last year for a guy. They're pretty standard as far as nearly every standalone having existing settings for them for dwell and such.

I am midway through a similar conversion, though aiming to use the EZK. Once done I will post pics and wiring diagram. Also using the VAG COPs, two sets in play at the moment, one set needs the cam cover studs for the plastic cover ground off and sit super neat in the valley, the other set sit a little taller and will not allow the plastic cover to be fitted though appears no machine work on the cam cover.
Also use plugs from the later model, they have a specific dimension that the COPs fit onto, the COPS do not quite fit the original plugs properly. Something about a 50mm ceramic top that is designed for the COP. Will dig out part numbers once it is all settled, just getting the EZK finished up right now.

That is the plan, just waiting on some info on EZK mods to alter the dwell down to COP levels. The wasted spark board, bosch ignitor/module and coil work just fine now, and it all uses the old b234 leads which was easy.

Yeah, I used VAG coils on one I built last year for a guy. They're pretty standard as far as nearly every standalone having existing settings for them for dwell and such.
Did you use a plate to keep them from wiggling around?

Also what brand of heat shielding did you use to cover that header?

Did you use a plate to keep them from wiggling around?

Also what brand of heat shielding did you use to cover that header?
They fit very tight as they are.
I used DEI shielding, it's horrible and I would actively recommend against using it. It is off the car now. They advertise it and market it as a suitable wrap for exhaust manifolds and it plainly is not. It is embossed aluminum backed with basalt wool, which sounds great. The glue they used to attach them together is flammable and catches fire and burns and stinks. I emailed them about it and all they said is that some smoking is normal.

Back