• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Joined the Beige Club - '78 242DL

Cameron

ドクターマリ&#
I figure I've made enough progress on my new car to start a thread on it. I've had it a little over a week now and am really just getting started on it, but have made some headway so far on the exterior stuff.

I bought the car/rolling chassis from Derek AKA Vol242vo. He did a lot of work to it but ultimately went a different direction and sold off some of the cool bits from it like the BBS/sway bars/GT front end stuff. His history with the car is here.

Back in October I made a deal with him to buy the car from him and he was going to trailer it to Portland for me from Spokane around Thanksgiving. Unfortunately the weather intervened and he couldn't make it down. Ultimately, I ending up hiring Patrick (Group A) to drive to Spokane and trailer it home for me. He and Eric went and got it for me on Saturday the 19th:

189564_10150224900379129_639089128_9126548_5950556_n.jpg

198478_10150224968474129_639089128_9127217_1151120_n.jpg

Later that day they dropped it off at my house and we pushed it into the driveway:

191589_1704943342418_1203030776_31490861_4641302_o.jpg

Which meant I had to clean up my garage to get it to fit :oops: Spent the next day cleaning the car, clay barring it and then cleaning it again. Then I did manage to squeeze it into the garage next to my wagon:

198933_1706134612199_1203030776_31492757_766130_n.jpg

Now that the car was decently clean and in the garage I got to work on the trim work. This car will have all the chrome trim banished. First step was roughing up the chrome around the windows with 400 grit, masking it all off and painting it. Window trim done:

DSC_3082.JPG

Also did the same for the rear end and removed the taillights for cleaning/painting and new gaskets:

0322111928.jpg

DSC_3088.JPG

Also pulled off the side trim for matching paint:

DSC_3103.JPG

DSC_3168.JPG

Chrome mirrors out, later black mirrors repainted and installed:

DSC_3133.JPG

DSC_3104.JPG

DSC_3137.JPG

Gonna leave all the side trim off for the next few days so I can get a good polish/wax on the car first and really clean underneath and on the edges of where the trim goes. Then it goes back on.

Since Derek sold the GT front end I needed something to replace it, and sorta happened into a light/grill combo from Dirk242. Scrubbed and repainted the grille and bezels and got one of the super sweet new poly domed emblems from Dave Barton:

DSC_3093.JPG

DSC_3091.JPG

DSC_3092.JPG

Next I got a nice matching pair of early CIBIE corner lights to go with the E-Codes:

DSC_3166.JPG

DSC_3165.JPG

So next, I also sorta happened into a set of Eikers. Problem is, they were hammered. 2 of the 4 were gashed/rashed bad and the other two also were, and were bent. Sent over the 2 bent ones to HM Motorsports for straightening and found out the super hamboned one was too far gone and had a crack at the base of one of the spokes. I got lucky and found a 5th one. It also needed straightening, but was totally fixable. That one went to HM with the others and the 2 workable ones got straightened.

Now that I had 4 useable, round wheels I set out to refinish them. First step was to sand down the scratches to smooth them out some with 220 grit. That got them looking about like so:

196316_1706136812254_1203030776_31492764_5932610_n.jpg

Next I cleaned them well with Acetone, then used filler and let it harden. Next was TONS of sanding with 220/400, then primer. Next was 3 coats of Duplicolor silver wheel paint followed by 3 coats of Duplicolor clear wheel paint:

DSC_3094.JPG

DSC_3098.JPG

DSC_3099.JPG

DSC_3101.JPG

DSC_3102.JPG

DSC_3127.JPG

DSC_3143.JPG

DSC_3146.JPG

DSC_3151.JPG

After letting the paint/clear cure for 24 hours I finally put them on the car last night :oogle:

DSC_3155.JPG

DSC_3159.JPG

DSC_3162.JPG

DSC_3153.JPG

Being that I've only had it a little over a week, I feel like I've made decent progress, but still have a lot more work to do. Next thing I'll be tackling is working the paint over with TR-3 Resin Glaze (which I'm just waiting on delivery of from Amazon) which hopefully should get rid of some of the swirl marks and bring out a nice shine :-D

More to come, but that's it for now!

:'( at vol242vo selling, :( at the de-chroming, >:[ at the e-code snatching and :D at this car getting such a good and deserving owner. I may not agree with the direction you take, but regardless of how you get there, I at least know you're taking this thing to awesometown.

Very cool! I like where it seems to be going. :-D

Thanks! Got a few more cool things to come for it before it's on the road, but posting "future plans" too far into the future I think is kinda dumb until it's happening, so I'll just wait and let the pictures do the talking when I'm at each "phase" of the car.

:'( at vol242vo selling, :( at the de-chroming, >:[ at the e-code snatching and :D at this car getting such a good and deserving owner. I may not agree with the direction you take, but regardless of how you get there, I at least know you're taking this thing to awesometown.

I just really really really don't like chrome trim on 240s :e-shrug: I think the black trim is a much nicer look. I know chrome is more vintage, but it just doesn't do it for me. All black trim ties the thing together better in my opinion. Otherwise it's "here comes the chrome" when you're looking at it.

Awesometown seems like a good destination -- I shall corral some unicorns when I arrive there.

i figured you bought the car ;-)

:lol: I think a lot of people figured that out.

Good looking project. Looking forward to see your progress :)

Thanks!

Looking good Cam! Thats a lot of index cards! A cluster for you is in the works. You are next on the list. Roger

It is a lot of index cards but they worked great! Less than $2.00 for a pack of 'em and way quicker/easier to apply than masking tape. I am super stoked for the new cluster for it from you! All your work I've seen is impeccable so it'll be a pleasure to install it in my 242 :)

I love this car.

Glad you like it! I'll be going a somewhat different direction with it than Derek was, but a lot of what I'm doing to it will not be that far off from what he started.

I just really really really don't like chrome trim on 240s :e-shrug: I think the black trim is a much nicer look. I know chrome is more vintage, but it just doesn't do it for me. All black trim ties the thing together better in my opinion. Otherwise it's "here comes the chrome" when you're looking at it.

Awesometown seems like a good destination -- I shall corral some unicorns when I arrive there.

chrome trim + beige looks like poo. if it was black, then it'd look alright. any other color, and its bad news bears.

i love the car cam!

chrome trim + beige looks like poo. if it was black, then it'd look alright. any other color, and its bad news bears.

100% agree -- the chrome in my opinion just sticks out like a sore thumb over the beige. The semi-flat black over the beige looks much better to me. Pulls the whole car together better.

i love the car cam!

I'm totally disappointed I didn't get to see this in person, but I'm glad it went to a good home. I look forward to seeing what goes in that bay.

Awesome

Except for the dechroming... i think chrome actually looks good with the beige. only a few colors can pull it off

Back