• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

top end?

90volvo

My car 1990 240 5 speed NA engine with 3.31 gears in the back. Ive done fuel pump mods, stage 1, V camshaft, chipped, upgraded exhaust. Was on an open road the other day so I thought Id see what my top speed would be. Well when it hit 95 it stopped pulling and wouldnt go any higher. Just asking is this typical top speed. Thanks

What size tires are you using? These are boxes and if the tires are taller than stock. Not only are you letting more air under the car. They are also harder to rotate.

The other common volvo thing is to try for top speed in fourth. Not fifth. Gotta rev it up to fight that airflow.

I am in no way associated with or suggesting any illegal driving activity.

disclaimer needed. lol.

Gotcha. Didn’t even think to try 4th. Tires are 205/55/15. Might hurt my top end some but gonna put 3.73 differtial in soon. I was just curious about topend. I really thought the car will do at least 120. Anyway di don’t recommend anybody to do this. I have an old airport I can use and car is in top shape. Thanks

You sure it's running good and timed correctly? Even a stock M cam automatic 240 should be able to kiss triple digits on a closed test course with a professional driver. More like 105 for a stick.

Thats what I thought, its timed right. Runs great but is a little sluggish on take off power but every 240 Ive had is that way. Think Ill run a diagnostic on it and see if anything pops up.

Sounds good. The tire size is good but is actually a shorter tire. So that will take away a little bit of top speed. I use the same size because of the better handling and braking.

A stock 240 turbo with intercooler can do 120. An n/a car should do around 100 maybe slightly over. I think you are in he right zone with that speed. If you have an adjustable cam gear you could retard the timing for better top end. I use the adjustable cam gear advanced though for more low rpm torque.

Sounds good. The tire size is good but is actually a shorter tire. So that will take away a little bit of top speed. I use the same size because of the better handling and braking.

A stock 240 turbo with intercooler can do 120. An n/a car should do around 100 maybe slightly over. I think you are in he right zone with that speed. If you have an adjustable cam gear you could retard the timing for better top end. I use the adjustable cam gear advanced though for more low rpm torque.

I do remember I have the cam advanced, either 6 or 8. Car runs pretty well and smooth. I was just curious if I was in ball park. I will try it in 4th next chance I get. Could be result of stock valve springs with 240000 miles on them. My fuel system is up to par.

Back