• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Joined the Beige Club - '78 242DL

ooooooooo, i need those gaskets, i am glad you made mention of them.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Volvo still has the part number active. Surprisingly enough, they list a different part number for this gasket for the Cibie vs Hella taillights. I though that was weird and would have assumed they were the same.

:drool:ing already.

Glad you like it :)

Allow me to be the first to ask....

diry?

Oh, not this again!

Got a good amount done tonight. Got my TR-3 in the mail yesterday and have most of the car done now.

Step 1:

Rip off cheesy wheel arch trim:

DSC_3184.JPG

Step 2:

Apply polish to ghost outline where trim used to go to erase it:

DSC_3185.JPG

Step 3:

Apply TR-3 Resin Glaze to full passenger side of car, then reinstall side trim:

DSC_3192.JPG

DSC_3191.JPG

DSC_3193.JPG

Also got the trunk lid, roof, and driver side fender all polished too:

DSC_3186.JPG

Next I pulled off the rear windshield chrome trim:

DSC_3194.JPG

And now the ricer upgrade! Replaced the rear side marker light bulbs with LED bulbs:

Before:

DSC_3187.JPG

After:

DSC_3189.JPG

The bulb in question:

DSC_3188.JPG

While I was ordering figured I better rice out the interior too with blangin' LED dome light:

DSC_3138.JPG

DSC_3139.JPG

Next up is finishing the polish -- just have driver door and driver side rear panel left to do.

So are you planning to actually get numbers/drive this one when it's done?
images

:-P

Speaking of which i should go bump everyone's threads...:lol:

when I was getting my 77 242 ready for sale, you'd be surprised how many little trim pieces and trim things are still available. We have a NOS center clock for that dash too that is still in inventory lol. E-mail me if you need trim stuff. ;-)

Lame picture post for the day so far. These just showed up in receiving:

0330111136.jpg

I was surprised they were still available new from Volvo and were cheap to boot -- like $10.00/each. They are the "gaskets" that go between the taillight lens and taillight body to seal the lens. The ones on the old lights are all dry and shrinking so these should seal them up tight.

For reference here's where they go:

Capture.JPG

I need these, go figure Volvo stocks them....

You said you were painting the tail lights, are you painted the silver portion black? How about the housings?

Trim looks good btw

Let me know how the dome light works for you. I put one in my car, along with the trunk. The turned on intermittently and sometimes came on half way, I'm also having the same issue in my gauges.

So are you planning to actually get numbers/drive this one when it's done?

:-P

I'll just lead you guys all on with it. I'm good at that ;-)

But yeah, this one will be daily driver mobile for when I'm not driving the wagon. I'll have you know that I did drive my wagon every day all summer
k.gif
Should be the same story again this spring/summer. Wagon back in action more. But this 242 will replace the steaming pile of 244GL I have. Then the 244 either gets sold for cheap, or turned into a chump car.

We have a NOS center clock for that dash too that is still in inventory lol. E-mail me if you need trim stuff. ;-)

Ha - NOS clock would be pretty sweet, but I don't need it really. Unless it's super cheap? I'll email you about it.

There is a difference. Do I see 242DL 16V?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat are you talking about Sherlock?

Love it.
For some reason I think it got a kinda "GTX" look with all that blacked out chrome.

Thanks! I don't know a whole lot about the GTX models -- only what I've seen in the old R-Sport catalogs.

You said you were painting the tail lights, are you painted the silver portion black? How about the housings?

I'm just painting the exterior of the housings. They're faded gray now and I'll paint them the same SEM black to match and blend in. For the interior of the light I'm just cleaning that out well and reinstalling the lenses with the new gaskets.

Let me know how the dome light works for you. I put one in my car, along with the trunk. The turned on intermittently and sometimes came on half way, I'm also having the same issue in my gauges.

Weird. I've installed LED interior bulbs in 3 240s now and never a single issue. Always work perfect :e-shrug: Where did you get yours? I've bought all mine from www.superbrightleds.com and never a single issue. They ship fast, orders have all been correct and never received any faulty parts from them. They cheap too!

I'm just painting the exterior of the housings. They're faded gray now and I'll paint them the same SEM black to match and blend in. For the interior of the light I'm just cleaning that out well and reinstalling the lenses with the new gaskets.

Very interested to see how this turns out.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat are you talking about Sherlock?
I thought the "badge" on the fender changed.
On the first pic there's a light coloured. On the second pic there's a black badge.
I thought it's a 16v sticker.
Never mind :oops:

Thanks! I don't know a whole lot about the GTX models -- only what I've seen in the old R-Sport catalogs.

It was just blacked out trim, quad squares, badges (think I have one lying around somewhere, would go nicely with the look on your car;-)), and some black vinyl (between the tail lights I think it was) Nothing exciting really

Last edited:
...badges (think I have one lying around somewhere, would go nicely with the look on your car;-)),

Oooooh, if you do have one of the badges you'd want to let go let me know!

After you mentioned the GTX earlier I found the old catalog I have with the GTX kit in it:

20110331155504624.jpg

Very sweet, where'd you find the new orange turn signals? Remember looking a few years ago and could only find one side available.

Thanks :) I got them from a member -- put up a parts wanted post and he had them. They're not brand new, but they're in really excellent shape. The right hand side one looks new, nicest OEM all amber one I've ever seen. The left hand side one isn't quite as nice and clear, but still in great shape. I was pretty happy to get them.

Back