• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 sunroof weatherstripping.... OMG is there another source or another material?

740atl

Gear acquisition syndrome
I just had a round replacing the sunroof weatherstripping on my 242. I won’t say I did an abominable job but it won’t win any awards.

Does anyone have a different source for the material? Like bulk stock? Both the front and rear are exactly the same material. Possibly another material that would work?

This is what the material looks like btw...
169542184.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say that I would like to know as well because the material is pretty unique to say the least. Just make sure that your sunroof drains are completely free and clear of debris. Use an air compressor to blow out the two holes, one in each top corner to ensure that the water has a place to go instead of inside. While you are shooting air into the hole, plug the drain hole in your door with your finger to see how it flows. You can also blow air into the drain hoses in the trunk to allow for more efficient drainage.

I would like to know as well as the seal has dry rotted on my 240.
OP, how did you go about replacing the seal?
I’m assuming when you say weatherstripping, it’s the black seal that’s sitting on the top periphery, inside the body side of the roof?

Not sure exactly what you’re looking for but skandix has some seals listed. That’s where I got my last 740 one.

Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a week, didn't realize anyone responded.

I would like to know as well as the seal has dry rotted on my 240.
OP, how did you go about replacing the seal?
I?m assuming when you say weatherstripping, it?s the black seal that?s sitting on the top periphery, inside the body side of the roof?

I used the information from this thread http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144252.

My old seal was completely dry rotted as well. Ended up using 3M adhesive remover. It's a spray. Do it on a cool day. Spray the remaining seal and ended up using a series of plastic putty knives to remove the old seal. I unfortunately scraped off paint so before I put the new seal on I taped and painted the sunroof lip.
169539407.jpg

Using the 3M super weatherstripping adhesive(which must be made from boiled leeches), I lightly coated the sunroof w-strip as well as the lip where it was to go. I had to tape the w-strip to a board to apply the adhesive otherwise as soon as you apply the adhesive, it is stuck to your finger. Definitely use gloves. Once you start applying the w-strip you have very little time to make a correction. I mean, you have seconds to make a correction and then it's stuck forever.

In terms of order of operations, you need to
  1. remove the sunroof first (open the sunroof a bit, pry back the sunroof headliner and slide it all the way back. This gives you access to the 8 bolts... Take a picture so you remember how to get them back in. remove the 8 bolts, then gently slide the sunroof forward then up and out. You might want to tape the roof forward of the sunroof in case you scratch the paint).
  2. Remove the rear weatherstripping then glue new w-strip to the back first and let it cure a bit Remember to angle it down on the edges.
  3. Don't immediately do the front strip. I recommend reinstalling the sunroof and roll it all the way back... The reason is this... If you install the front seal (the sides and front) before you put the sunroof back in, the gap is a tiny bit smaller and you have to push the sunroof through your newly installed w-strip... very frustrating and messy. My w-strip actually came off in a few places when trying to cram the sunroof back in place... so note to self.
  4. install the sunroof, reattach the 8 bolts, using a finger, push the sunroof slider chain/rope all the way forward on each side and then roll or push the sunroof all they way back in the car.
  5. install the front w-strip. Be sure you're putting it where you want it. I started from the passenger side rear and put it in place with my left hand while dangling the rest up in the air with the right hand. Work your way across and to the other side. Frequently look or have a partner look to make sure it's not sticking up too far above the roofline.

BTW the 3M adhesive and adhesive remover are easily available at advance auto parts.

I was wondering if there is any other material to use besides the stock stuff? Does the w-strip have to be exactly what volvo used or is there another material that would be suitable?

Do you have access to the original stuff? Can you post pictures of the profile? I would love to help dig around and look for a suitable replacement as my sunroof no longer has any of the seals anymore.

Do you have access to the original stuff? Can you post pictures of the profile? I would love to help dig around and look for a suitable replacement as my sunroof no longer has any of the seals anymore.

Only skandix has the original seals per the part numbers. iPd still sells the rear seal $45.

Can’t the seals be special ordered from the dealerships?

OP, thank you for the detailed write up.

I just had a round replacing the sunroof weatherstripping on my 242. I won?t say I did an abominable job but it won?t win any awards.

Does anyone have a different source for the material? Like bulk stock? Both the front and rear are exactly the same material. Possibly another material that would work?

This is what the material looks like btw...
169542184.jpg

Did you end up finding something stateside without having to order from Skandix?

The 2 seals that mount directly to the sunroof are available here in the US for $108.00 plus shipping.

There is an additional seal that mounts behind the sunroof opening for the rear unseen section of the sunroof and it costs an additional $18.00.

The 2 seals that mount directly to the sunroof are available here in the US for $108.00 plus shipping.

There is an additional seal that mounts behind the sunroof opening for the rear unseen section of the sunroof and it costs an additional $18.00.

Do you guys sell it?

The reason I ask is I checked your website and didn't see anything for 240's and beyond.

Yes, we do. I don't have them in stock right now. The last set went to Puerto Rico back in May and I forgot to reorder.

I can usually have them in a few days.

I wonder if we could drum up enough interest to do a group buy for these sunroof seal sets. I'd be in for a couple for sure.

The reason I ask is I checked your website and didn't see anything for 240's and beyond.

At this point, the website is more focused on 1975 and earlier OHV Volvos and the majority of our inventory is focused on those years.

The website is no where near complete, so even though there were pre-1976 Volvos with sunroofs, those parts are not currently on the website.

Since we service all rear wheel drive Volvo cars, we can supply most of the available parts for the 200, 700 and 900 series Volvos.

I?m down for a set as well. I need both the seals.
Just let me know when you have them in stock and I will be happy to pay for them.

Back