• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M46 Backup Light Switch - Intermittent Light and Leaking Fluid?

blyat

( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
I've recently had this problem where my reverse lights no longer stay on unless I cram the shifter far left. Both lights will work if I do this, and hold the shifter there.

At the same time, the trans has developed a bit of a leak. Every time I stop, a little bit of fluid drips out onto the ground (yay).

Is it possible that the switch has backed itself out over time and is now weeping fluid, causing the leak and the funky lights? If the contact had completely worn, I suspect it wouldn't turn on the lights at all when shifted into reverse...

Thanks for your help!

It's a cvommon M46 issue to seep some fluid. The bolts on the overdrive sump can work their way loose and drip a bit. Or you may have a seal leaking like the front input shaft seal or the rear overdrive seal.

Reverse light switch is on the top of the trans cover. Unlikely to be leaking unless you have possibly over filled the trans?

It's a cvommon M46 issue to seep some fluid. The bolts on the overdrive sump can work their way loose and drip a bit. Or you may have a seal leaking like the front input shaft seal or the rear overdrive seal.

Reverse light switch is on the top of the trans cover. Unlikely to be leaking unless you have possibly over filled the trans?

That is also definitely a possibility. It looks like the leak is coming from above, and pools right where the bell housing meets the gearbox. It could be a bellhousing seal leak.

I guess it may be time to look for getrag parts and finish that swap :p

You could squirt some dye into the trans. Clean the outside and see what the dye reveals. There is also a gasket on the top cover.

The original M47 on my 93 wagon developed a front input shaft leak. But it was hard to tell where it was from. Dripped from the bell housing and the spot you describe, between the bell housing and gearbox section. I put in a rebuilt M47 that sat on the shelf for many years and it was a mistake not the regasket the whole trans.

You could squirt some dye into the trans. Clean the outside and see what the dye reveals. There is also a gasket on the top cover.

The original M47 on my 93 wagon developed a front input shaft leak. But it was hard to tell where it was from. Dripped from the bell housing and the spot you describe, between the bell housing and gearbox section. I put in a rebuilt M47 that sat on the shelf for many years and it was a mistake not the regasket the whole trans.

This is most likely the case.

And since the trans has to come out, I may as well sell it after getting the getrag in.

Thanks for your help!

Back