• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

244/240 sedan 6 panel Tail light Fitment

jjcarr

Need info.
replacing the tail lights on my '84 244GL because they are cracked and leaking.
there doesn't seem to be much easily searchable content on fitment of 240 sedan tail light models.

I'm talking 6 panel lights.
I'm aware that the wiring on the insert card between earlier model (pre '85) differs from the later model ('85-'93).

is the housing fitment the same? can I drop an '84 circuit card into a later housing?

I have good working lights with cards intact but have a chance to buy a nice set of light housings with the chrome trim original to my vehicle and want to know if anybody here can confirm that this will work before I waste my time.
Thanks!

Get the nice newer housings and get the circuit cards for those. then you can reposition the light connector contacts if they are different. The circuit cards and the housings do not interchange. First version is 79-84. Then the later housing with the brake light moved to the lower outside corner with the running light have a slightly different socket position on the housing.

The white connector for the lights has a cover you can carefully pop open and change the position of the contacts. Sorry, I forget which ones you may need to move.

I once had an early housing with the later circuit card in it. Drove me crazy trying to figure out why the brake lights didn't work. This was on an 86 and someone put a 1980 housing with the 86 circuit. That one took a little while to firgure out.

great, that clears some things up- the later housings will fit on the car then.

*now perhaps somebody has a wiring diagram or can explain the re-wire procedure*

I'm just going to order complete newer version assemblies with all parts and modify the harness connector pins.

Back