home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
LumbagoMango

Question Worrying sound whenever I知 driving

I have a 1992 240, and whenever I turn right and my revs are high I hear this weird vibrating/rubbing sound and I have no idea why. At first I thought it may be the tires rubbing because I just put in some IPD lowering springs and Bilstein touring shocks, but the tires show no signs of rubbing/wear and it痴 been going on for a little while now. Me and my buddy are gonna take a look underneath this weekend, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for what it could be. Does it have to do with the transmission or drive shaft because it only seems to happen whenever I知 at the upper half of my revs? Does it maybe have to do with a suspension part because it only happens whenever I turn right?

Any help is appreciated greatly!
LumbagoMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Does this happen with the wheels turned all the way to the right? That could be the inside of the tire rubbing on the anti sway bar. This will also happen if you are backing up with the wheel turned all the way.

Another thought is, how are the engine mounts?
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
LumbagoMango

Sway bars are okay, doesn’t look like they’re anywhere near the sidewall on the left or right when turned fully to the right. The engine mounts look alright, maybe a teeny bit swollen but still serviceable. It’s the weirdest thing, it only makes the sound when I give it about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn to the right in the upper half of the revs. I’ve never heard a weird sound reversing and turning except for the odd little pop
Old 09-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Sometimes the springs make noise when turning. Also if you have worn out front bushings. The control arm can move around under certain wheel positions. Don't forget ball joints move with the turning of the wheel as well.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
LumbagoMango

Oh yeah, the bushings are beyond cooked on the front. I plan on replacing them all with polyurethane bushings once I get a second car and dont have to daily it anymore. I’ll be sure to give the control arm and the bushings a look over to see if there’s anything out of the ordinary!
Old 09-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

On the front suspension. the right side rear bushing gets cooked from the exhaust.