home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
xDread92x
Board Member

Default 90 240 M47 Guibo Installation

So after my drivetrain work there is a nasty unbalanced vibration right under my seat...obviously where the guibo is...so installation must have not been correct, so im making this thread to get it right.

I took pics before removal as a reference but did not mark the trans flange to driveshaft as the 3 parts of the tranny flange looked the same. I did however mark the tranny flange to their specific bolts. If you notice in the pic where two bolts are still connected i noticed a yellow mark before the driveshaft flange attached to guibo and it looked oddly in line with tranny flange 2 (my two white dots marking as “flange 2”). Could this be the alignment marking?

I do believe the PO/PM did install this incorrectly thats probably why the guibo and drivetrain components were shot and performance was crap. In my pictures you can tell all bolts are facing the engine with nuts on that end. From research some say the direction of the bolts dont matter. I put the new bmw guibo in and followed the same system that i removed and this new guibo doesnt like it.

If you can notice in my old guibo, the trans flange bolts have a lock washer and reg washer on the head end as well as a washer on the nut. The driveshaft flange has only a washer on the nut side. Here is problem one that I see on the new guibo:

1. The extra lockwasher and reg washer creates more distance as you lock down. The new guibo i noticed is bulged alittle further out on the trans flange part. This can easily cause imbalance.

2. Im pretty sure i got the guibo orientation right. Most said which side of the guibo installed doesn’t matter. The thicker two bolts holes in between the cushion space is what matters. People say the “thicker” portion should be on the trans flange.

Each pair of holes is one for driveshaft and one for tranny flange. Does this mean one of the holes of the pair is thicker for the trans flange??

Worst case it may be the tranny flange misaligned or the extra washers creating bulging and too much space making the guibo unbalanced all around.

**PICS ARE OF OLD GUIBO BEFORE REMOVAL**

https://ibb.co/SvfkxsY
https://ibb.co/YRZBKCn
https://ibb.co/YXqc4C5
Old 09-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

It's been a long time since I replaced one. If I recall recently sbabbs mentioned something about the bolt orientation following the arrows on the sides. I do recall that you must keep each set of bolts with the flange they are on and use the large washers under the bolts where there isn't a metal flange. Brickboard also has threads about this.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
sbabbs
Board Member

Let me find some pics of proper install, makes it easy. I should have one handy or I can go take one real quick.

Those pics you posted that is definitely not the correct way to install. You'd think it wouldn't matter but half of the bolts need to go the other way.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
hiperfauto
Board Member

Here's how the bolts go. Are the centering sleeve and locating pin there?

hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
sbabbs
Board Member

Make sure this is like this.

Then

Looks like my bolts are backwards compared to the above assembly instructions, but I don't think that is as critical as making sure the trans flange and the driveline flange are offset, not on the same bolt hole. And that centering thingy in the pic above needs to be with the trans flange holes. Then the bolts need to be one way and then the other set the other way.

The quibo should have arrows on the outside guiding which way the bolts are supposed to go. They look like little triangles.

So bolt heads on the rubber side of guibo install and guibo oriented that way with the arrows pointing the correct way for the bolts with the heads on rubber side of guibo, not the flange side of trans or driveline. Washers on bolt heads also. I guess it's easy if you do it that way. Just gotta know that. I think I've got it figured out now just gotta remember how when I do it.

The pic above is my 88 240 wagon, I'll fix those bolt orientation when I put the motor back in the car I guess. I did drive it for a couple years like that.

Last edited by sbabbs; 09-13-2019 at 04:49 PM..
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
xDread92x
Board Member

Damn boys I attached the locating pin assembly to the driveshaft...not with the trans flange...FUUU**

That means the trans flange is attached to guibo only. I have driven it about 12-15 miles this way and i think it was starting to sound alittle bad down there.

Could this cause any serious damage?
xDread92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
xDread92x
Board Member

**LATE UPDATE**

I got the center pin assembly attached to the tranny flange and got all the bolts facing the proper way.

So far the guibos loving it and its definitely a night and day difference. If you own an M46/47 etc the guibo is probably one of the most important components of the drivetrain system.

Definitely recommend replacing...forgot to take a pics of final install, sorry
Old 09-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #8
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Happy rolling.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #9
Otto Mattik
Board Member

I noticed in your photos the bolt orientation, .. so I'm guessing you reversed the the driveshaft flange bolts ?
I assume this has to do with balance, correct ?

Desperate need of elf assistant for interior work - Cash/Beer option $

Feedback Link: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
xDread92x
Board Member

Yea i put the centering pin assembly in line with the tranny flange..(as i accidentally attached it to the driveshaft). I also reversed the driveshaft flange bolts so the head of the bolt is on the engine side. Those pics are from the old guibo before first removal
Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #11
MasterBlaster
Board Member

A recap of mostly-correct, but still slightly not-quite-perfectly-stated things to clarify for future readers.

It doesn't matter which "side" of the Giubo faces forward or back.

It DOES matter that the little arrows point towards the flange arms.

The bolts should go through the Giubo first, then the flange, because proper tightening technique holds the bolt (and the metal tube in the rubber) stationary, while the nut spins on the "safe" side of the flange, so the tube doesn't twist and shred the rubber.

It's spelled Giubo, not Guibo.
From the Italian giunto (joint) + Boschi (the inventor).

And it's pronounced Jew-Boh, not Gwee-bow.
You know, kinda like....

Jew-Jitsu

A martial art that does NOT use Nun-chucks.

Or even nun-Chucks.

I'll stop now.

1990 740GL, now in extra-small economy size.
480,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote