• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Larger wastegate Puck for Holset (now with pics)

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
Picked up a 1.5" exhaust valve for $6 from Napa and went to town on it ... tomorrow I pick up a low profile nut and weld it on for now you see pics of what I have done so far. notice the last picture you notice why I am having boost creep issues .. turns out I did not port the hole properly .... oooppss ... I will fix that tomorrow

holsetpuck_0204.jpg

holsetpuck_0203.jpg

holsetpuck_0202.jpg

holsetpuck_0201.jpg

holsetpuck_0200.jpg

holsetpuck_0199.jpg

holsetpuck_0198.jpg

holsetpuck_0197.jpg

holsetpuck_0196.jpg

holsetpuck_0195.jpg

holsetpuck_0194.jpg

holsetpuck_0193.jpg

holsetpuck_0192.jpg

holsetpuck_0191.jpg

holsetpuck_0190.jpg

holsetpuck_0189.jpg

holsetpuck_0188.jpg

holsetpuck_0187.jpg

holsetpuck_0186.jpg

holsetpuck_0185.jpg

holsetpuck_0184.jpg

holsetpuck_0183.jpg

holsetpuck_0182.jpg

holsetpuck_0181.jpg

holsetpuck_0180.jpg

holsetpuck_0179.jpg

holsetpuck_0178.jpg

holsetpuck_0177.jpg

holsetpuck_0176.jpg

holsetpuck_0175.jpg

holsetpuck_0174.jpg

holsetpuck_0173.jpg

holsetpuck_0172.jpg

holsetpuck_0171.jpg

holsetpuck_0170.jpg

holsetpuck_0169.jpg

And .... Done ... so I went from a 32mm Valve to a 37mm valve which should also fix the 3/4" worth of .002" of leaking that the old setup was doing because of my crappy port work

We shall see, tomorrow my plan is to get it finished and back on the car, after that I might drive it to work and just see how well things work on low boost and pump gas, maybe next weekend I will take it to the track as this friday I have a lot of stuff to get done around the house

and wow only 1 reply ..

well it was with the old setup, i need to fix the port work to fix the creep issue so ...
otherwise if this can get the turbo spooled quicker I will be happy as with the leaking setup 2 tenths in the 60 foot got me 1/2 sec ET wise so another 500-800rpm spool up should work wonders

That is genius, Mike.:clap:

I'll be very interested to see how that runs with low boost on the road- you know, those applications where we are told we have to have a mahoosive external gate.

Also, what does one of those housings cost and would it fit my HX35? :)

well it was with the old setup, i need to fix the port work to fix the creep issue so ...
otherwise if this can get the turbo spooled quicker I will be happy as with the leaking setup 2 tenths in the 60 foot got me 1/2 sec ET wise so another 500-800rpm spool up should work wonders

But how fast did it actually spool?

with the leak ... it is pointless to say since it was leaking.

the car is fine boost creep wise with tthe cat in place. the only time I have issues is when I open up the exhaust. with the 3" elec cutout open over 5200rpm I get creep to 26-29psi so I only need a bit more flow out of that WG port so today I will finish porting and see how quick I can get everything together. I know taking things apart is the easy part and putting them back together is going to take 10x as long but we will see

well no new pics but housing is back on car and all is pretty good .. @ 10psi boost does spool around 600rpm sooner so that is good, otherwise creep is not as bad but we shall see how it does with race fuel @ 20+psi in a month or so when I can afford it .. stupid gas prices

DISCLAIMER:this could be from being 4 pints of barley wine deep... But I don't get how a larger wastegate is going to help spool. I have my hx35-12cm^2 going in this week, so I'd like to understand more about it. Thanks!

a non-leaking wastegate puck will help spool.

a larger non-leaking wastegate puck will help prevent creep.

I know this thread is quite old but what the heck.. How did you attach the new puck to the wastegate arm? Did you thread it and fixed it with a nut or weld the sucker in position?

Best regards: Mr copycat

Drill the nut out slightly to fit the valve stem, weld in place.

If anybody reading this is interested, I think I still have a couple valves floating around that are turned down to be a very nice fit. Did this on my Holset years ago.

Back