• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Damn, I have to say, this car looks soo damn awesome! Don't ever get rid of this color and stripe (and the coffin hood), it really makes a place to those quad rounds. :cool:
Also I have to give you a big thumbs up to all the work, looks real nice.

And I'm looking forward to see your 5 cyl swap process, as I'm also planning on doing it. Future bugdet decides if turbo or N/A, but I'd even be damn happy with a rev-happy 2.5 that also can get good MPG-s on highway. :-D

Btw do you have a high-res picture of this?
ZMQfS.jpg

Damn, I have to say, this car looks soo damn awesome! Don't ever get rid of this color and stripe (and the coffin hood), it really makes a place to those quad rounds. :cool:
Also I have to give you a big thumbs up to all the work, looks real nice.

And I'm looking forward to see your 5 cyl swap process, as I'm also planning on doing it. Future bugdet decides if turbo or N/A, but I'd even be damn happy with a rev-happy 2.5 that also can get good MPG-s on highway. :-D

Btw do you have a high-res picture of this?
ZMQfS.jpg

Thanks for the kind words! Here's a high-res: http://i.imgur.com/FwSn3.jpg

Did u install that oil pump???

Nah, bought it for a spare. Thanks though!

Also, I think I've changed my mind on powerplant. I still like the idea of having a T5 240, but this fell into my lap for $100 this weekend.

F8KJovM.jpg

130k mile 5.3 (might be a 4.8, I'll have to check).

It's appealing because I'm starting to think that the 83 wagon would be a better candidate for a T5 swap...it's a better looking car, it's blue, it's a wagon, etc. A V8 244 would be a fun little sleeper.

And I have, or can get very cheaply, the parts I need to build this to around 600hp. Jury's still out on manual vs auto, but a good buddy has a TH400 trans just laying in the shop I could probably pick up cheap.

Valve springs, cam, later/better heads (this has 862s), flipped truck manifolds, and a bit of boost and I could be squarely in the 500-600hp range, which would be absolutely terrifying in that car. Really the only big piece I'm lacking is a rear end that'll support that, but an 8.8 is just a couple hours in the junkyard today.

To be clear, I'm not giving up on the T5. Just weighing options.

Long time, no update.

Life has moved pretty quickly...bought a house in late December and the past few weeks have been busy turning the basement into a shop that I can work in. I'm about there.

Rdwwh9il.jpg

CFihsk5l.jpg

The V8 is slated for a wagon of some sort later down the line. Sticking with the T5 plan for the 79.

In that vein, I picked up a B5254T2 from a wrecked '04 XC70 a couple days ago. The main reason I bought it is because it has the dual CVVT head that I've been looking for. As an added bonus, it's a relatively low mileage motor.

I disassembled it last night. Nothing really remarkable. The photos below are of the wear I did find. One rod bearing (and only one, the other 4 are cherry) appears to have gotten something in it and worn it a bit. The crank has corresponding marks, but should polish out fine. You can't feel the marks when you run a fingernail across it.

Y6jjrKYl.jpg

VALsTvzl.jpg

On the mains, again, most of them are fine. The only notable wear is on the lower (and only the lower) shell of the thrust bearing. Pictured first is the upper bearing shell, the second is the worn lower thrust bearing shell. The crank has no marks at all on this journal.

I'm a little stumped as to why only half the thrust bearing is worn, but whatever.

Ut1uE4dl.jpg

AHYBmaMl.jpg

Well, it came off the road because I had the 760. The intention was for me to build it while driving something else. After driving other stuff, I've discovered I've really lost interest in the car. I think I need to get it back on the road and running/driving to get some motivation back for it. As of right now, it's just hanging out in the basement getting dusty and moldy.

Well I guess it's time to blow the dust off of this one.

Mark is coming to take the brown car home this weekend since I stalled on that one too. Which means I have a motor and trans that can be just dropped right into the '79. I don't think "Qwikbrik" will apply anymore, but oh well. I'll also have to change the thread title.

This is going in.

ST5ZKuMl.jpg

and I'll just use a breakerless ignition. That, coupled with some bitchin' coilovers I've got and the GTAs, should allow me to just get it back on the damn road. It's a little worse for wear now, but I really think that job one is getting it rolling again. Then I can start to think about paint/body/whatever else. I've sorta come to realize that I don't need 400hp to have fun in the mountains, so the car will be slow for awhile. Hopefully it'll make cool noises, which is all I really care about at the moment.

I've also got a set of GTAs and adapters that'll look great on the car. I just need to find a rear axle.

I just re-read this thread end to end, and I aint even mad.
that being said, I do need to get those quad round headlight bezels shipped out to you.

also, Id like some more info on the hydro clutch setup you had on there, I have the kennedy stage 3 and JohnV SOOPERBITCHINFLYWHEELOFDOOM as well, and Id love to avoid ripping a hole in my firewall if at all possible :lol:

Ima send you a Pmizzle

Back