• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 960 Ambient Temp Gauge

stick70

Big dreams, medium skills
I'm retrofitting one of these into my 960 and I've got it ready to rock. Sensor plugged in and the gauge plugged in. The gauge I have is from a late car but I went through the diagrams and hooked everything up right. The issue is, the gauge only displays "-188F". Do these things go bad? I confirmed the signal wires and everything are good, I'm getting power and ground.

JK guys crisis averted. I pulled two different sensors from the yard with this gauge, both of them had an open circuit. New sensor in, works a treat.

I got one retrofitted into my '93 but illumination doesn't work. You got a diagram for that gauge and wiring?

I got one retrofitted into my '93 but illumination doesn't work. You got a diagram for that gauge and wiring?

Could be as simple as a burnt out bulb (which mine was before I ditched the whole thing and installed a digital boost gauge).

Anyway, I believe the gauge is the same for the 940 and 960. If so, it's in the wiring diagram that I always use for my 97 940:
https://ipdown.net/docs/TP3933032_940_1997_1998_wiring_diagrams.pdf - page 158

I used this website for the gauge itself :https://cardiagn.com/1998-volvo-models-960-s90-v90-wiring-diagrams-online/

I have a greenbook for the 1993 wiring but I can snap a picture of it if you like. The bulb in mine was also burned out, FCP sells replacements for like $0.60 or something. Note though, lining up the colors in the diagram the light does work, but it's on all the time in my car. Maybe that's why they always burn out?

I've swapped like 4 different bulbs in the temp unit- they measured resistance before I put them in so they are not burned out. Thanks for the links Fa182 and stick70- it has probably has something to do with just pins in the gauge connector being layed out differently on the later car i pulled the gauge from. Even though the connector mated and was proper color for my 93 940.

So that's interesting, my gauge was from a '98 car. The connector itself was a black 8 pin vs. the grey 6 pin that was in my car. I actually had to de-pin the connector for it to work. Not helpful to you but interesting none the less.

early white plugs had the light on the dimmer circuit, later black plugs have regular 12V for the bulb. The bulbs are the same as 240 cluster.

Back