• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Did anyone else's twin cam conversion fall on its face?

Yes, more details of what manifolds? But in general as you can see. A 16v turbo needs a completely different tuning for it's engine management. A plateau in power could be because lack of fuel, lack of air, or even both would be my guess with a 16v turbo at 11psi on a stock turbo, and stock tuning. You can get it going. We need more turbo redblock power in S NJ!

Pic of engine compartment in first post
I've been told I do not post clearly.
It has the Yoshi intake manifold with yoshi 8v exhaust manifold adapter and I think yoshi provided the 960 throttle body that's on it but I'm not sure.
It was a good running original 940 Turbo.
It still has its original 940 Turbo ECU , injectors , and turbocharger.

Assuming you're not hitting fuel cut (where the ECU goes into survival mode, assuming something broke on the wastegate and runaway boost is happening), you might just be strangling the engine with that adapter/exhaust manifold, feeding into that tiny turbo.

It would be worse if you were running short on fuel. Lean is not good when under boost. And it's not always going to result in audible pinging. Sometimes it can just melt pistons for the hell of it.

There's no real '+15 hp' in engine modifications. Everything has to support the increased amount of air moving through the motor, from the first part of the intake to the tailpipe. You're pretty much limited by the worst remaining bottleneck.

And also assuming that you can get enough fuel in to match the air, of course. Which can be limited by the fuel pump, the injectors, or the ECU itself not understanding the new hardware it's been asked to try to deal with.

Listen
I started this three or four years ago. I expected you guys to have figured this out by now! Haha
J/k I appreciate all the input, I really do.
I don't mind spending more money on it (even a bunch more) with a dedicated and defined path.
Is there anybody here with an awesome running, properly sorted 16v turbo car?
Is there anyone with an awesome running 16v turbo car who still has LH2.4?
if so I need to copy one of their setups as a path to completion instead of chasing my tail trying to reinvent the wheel spending time I don't have.
If the variables are still just as unknown and unresolved as they were four years ago and the collective does not have a favorite way of doing things for a given result, I'm yanking this motor out and sticking in a good running 8v plant from my donor car and enjoying it side by side with my other Volvo wagon (which is probably faster than yours ;) )

Lol
Dont fall for my lame baseless internet trash talk. I'm no good at it anyways.
I'd love to see/talk cars and /or motorcycles with just about anyone and the coffee is on me.

But since you brought it up.....what's up with your 95 wagon? How's that set up? Is it a red block car? Is there a thread on it ?

some great info got pm'd to me about directions to take
I pm'd a member on here about chips, will source a proper sized turbo and injectors, and will put some more time into getting it sorted.
My local upholsterer will fix the cracked seats and I'll get it spruced up cosmetically too

I had a similar experience with 16V, but with a 15G and using a standalone ECU.
Immediate boost, dyno'ed at ~200hp. Was pretty fun for what it was, but the 15G runs out of turbine way early, and plateaus.
Kinda gets boring for anything other than leaving the line at stoplights and autocross, and ended up tabulating how much it'd cost to get a bigger turbo, a manifold that didn't put the turbo in the strut tower (because 240), re-engineer engine mounts (because 240), etc - and spent about 2-3* that doing a V8 swap that explodes every time I put my foot down :rofl:

Even if you weren't hitting an inherent hard limit with LH, there isn't really an LH variant that has tables in roughly the appropriate range for running that engine... either 8V T, 16V NA, or the euro 2.0L 16V T. It's such a big jump from a normal configuration that's in "custom everything" territory, not "cheap junkyard frankenstein."

Yes! That rings a bell.

I also have a v8 powered 960 that is tons of fun. They just made a much stronger one piece drive shaft for it today so I can stop worrying about the previous owner's pencil thin makeshift adapted piece.

Is there anyone with an awesome running 16v turbo car who still has LH2.4?.

I had one - Just started parting it out for a 5 cylinder build. Ran it for almost a decade and 30k kms and had a lot of fun, and it was fast. LH2.4 - 16t turbo. I'm selling my ecu ezk and chips if you want something that works! Ask any questions and I can tell you what I had for a setup.

I had a 16V running at about 350 whp for a while, but I got tired of replacing head gaskets. May have been a tuning issue? (too much timing?).

-ported 16V
-MS3X
-1000cc injectors
-DW300 fuel pump
-BW EFR 7064
-RSI front mount dual scroll exhaust mani
-Nathan intake
-forged pistons, h-beams
-Cometic HG, ARP head studs

I took that out and put a turbo alu 5.3L LS motor and a 6-spd Nissan manual trans. Which is, so far, a hell of a lot more fun. And a bit scary.

My 740 16v Turbo has been a reliable daily driver and I first cobbled it together in 2006. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=314945

rN884Be.jpg

I "recently" overhauled the engine and seem to think I documented the build pretty well with part numbers and pictures. Maybe you can get some info on parts to order etc.

General Specs:

LH 2.4 with Hi-Tuning 16v Turbo chips
42lb Injectors
Tubular exhaust manifold
Modified billet T3 60 trim Garrett turbo running @12 PSI
Deatschwerks DW200 fuel pump
Stock head and cams with Ford 4.6 springs and mild porting
Stock headgasket
Stock pistons with valve reliefs and forged connecting rods
do88 Intercooler
3" MAF
STOCK EXHAUST :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to your build:

Perhaps your initial problem is as simple as valve float and you just need stronger springs (Sealed Power VS1632)?

Before I installed mine I would occasionaly hit a wall at higher RPMs, but now that's all gone. Even with my stock exhaust, above 6000 RPMs the power curve flattens out and the motor is ready for the next gear, but it doesn't choke out or fall on it's face.

I had one - Just started parting it out for a 5 cylinder build. Ran it for almost a decade and 30k kms and had a lot of fun, and it was fast. LH2.4 - 16t turbo. I'm selling my ecu ezk and chips if you want something that works! Ask any questions and I can tell you what I had for a setup.

@ gpzTurbo --> I would jump on that offer if I were you!

what rear do you have in your V8 car?

I have a Ford 8.8 already modified (narrowed, 240 suspension mounts) and waiting to go in, but the motor project dragged on a long time, so I ended up just getting a driveshaft made to go to the stock 3.73 Volvo rear axle. It has a G80 in it.

So far it's been hanging in there with no complaints. 225/45/17 Toyo T1R tires - so it's traction limited through 3rd, lack of traction is probably the main thing keeping the axle alive.

Here's what the old 16V redblock turbo engine looked like:
4rBsW1Zh.jpg

And what the new 16V whiteblock turbo engine looks like:
a5omU4gh.jpg

Jerry & JohnMc - thanks for all the info

it does have heavier valve springs as was recommended by Josh at the time.
I'll get the chips from the 940 16 guy :) and start moving forward

Back