• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C C30 Control Arm Shopping

volvowagoon

Hello,

I have a nasty clunk in my 2010 C30 T5 at low speeds. I think the control arm bushings are shot, but I'll check soon. I have torn ball joint boots anyway so replacing the arm wouldn't be a waste of time either way. When shopping on RockAuto, the descriptions specify parts fitting sport suspension or without. What is this? Is that R model stuff? Thanks!

Sport suspension (here) you could get on anything, but really only came on the R designs. I believe it won't change anything with the control arm.

Typically the rear bushing goes out on the P1 chassis. It is usually duplicated by rolling at slow-ish speed then quickly tapping the brake pedal. This forces the rear of the control arm in and out causing a clunk. It is the easiest way to duplicate it when driving.

I'd inspect the struts for signs of leakage/or a broken spring. Check the links while you're at it.

You don't indicate clunk front or rear, but by your description I'm assuming you're hearing a front clunk.

Jordan

Sport suspension (here) you could get on anything, but really only came on the R designs. I believe it won't change anything with the control arm.

Typically the rear bushing goes out on the P1 chassis. It is usually duplicated by rolling at slow-ish speed then quickly tapping the brake pedal. This forces the rear of the control arm in and out causing a clunk. It is the easiest way to duplicate it when driving.

I'd inspect the struts for signs of leakage/or a broken spring. Check the links while you're at it.

You don't indicate clunk front or rear, but by your description I'm assuming you're hearing a front clunk.

Jordan

Hmm I see. I heard that there is a very slight geometry change, but they certainly don't look any different in pictures. I think I remember seeing on another board that you can identify the suspension type with an ID tag.

Yep. I read your reply last night and did the replication this morning. Big clunk! Thanks for the tip.

My apologies. Yes, this is a front end clunk.

End links make that very noise you're describing and will typically not have any other issues. Bushings would have some weird shifting happening as well, if they're really bad you can feel it in the car at low speed, etc...

I'd check them and see if the ball joints are still OK, you could always replace just the boot on those.

Update: I bought some junky control arms from RA for non-sport suspensions. For the most part, they fit nicely. They did need quite a bit of persuasion for all the bolt holes to align, but I'm guessing that's kind of the case with all new control arm bushings. Either way, my clunk is gone and I no longer have shaking while braking! What I didn't expect was my alignment to get so messed up.
n2R0A1q.jpg

Once my new tie rod ends decide to show up, I'll throw those on and schedule an alignment. She'll feel like a new car again!

Back